Profile Picture

Aerostar springs in a 55 bird

Posted By miker 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
There’s been a discussion off and on about using Aerostar springs. I just finished that on the 55 bird and this is the results.

55 Thunderbird, p/s p/b p/w p/s and SN2000 Paxton to add weight.

Headers, alum front cover, and Blue Thunder to deduct weight.

I haven’t weighed the car, sorry.

Removed springs 14 ¾ inch free height

One end square, one end Tangential

8 ¼ turns, counting the flattened part of the Tangential end.

I assume these were stock, but I can’t remember if we cut them slightly after the manifold and headers went on.

New springs, NAPA 2775245. 1992 Aerostar

Free height 11.65”

One end square, one end Tangential

Load height (Aerostar) 10”

Design load 997 (presume lbs)

Rate 605 (presume lbs/in)

Variable rate coil

About $85 with shipping from So Cal to Seattle

The front fender lip, from ground on wheel center, 24 7/8 right, 25 1/8 left. Stock replacement 15” Coker radials.

This is ½ inch higher than before.

I put stiffer shocks on, but can probably use more. The car rides a little harder, but better, and way better in a corner or a large bump. I assume this is due to the variable/higher rate.

Driven maybe 65 miles, and sitting 3 weeks, there has been no noticeable settlement.

I got a set of Mummert’s heads last week, and after they’re on, I’ll put some miles on it and cut (probably the square end) to lower the front ½ inch from the current height and even it out with me in the seat. I liked it there. While the ride was expected to be better, I was concerned it was going to lower the car too much. Didn’t happen. Don’t know the difference between a ‘bird and full size car, but I’d be surprised if it pushed it down 2 1/2 inches more.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Gerry
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (192 reputation)Supercharged (192 reputation)Supercharged (192 reputation)Supercharged (192 reputation)Supercharged (192 reputation)Supercharged (192 reputation)Supercharged (192 reputation)Supercharged (192 reputation)Supercharged (192 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Than't some great information. Thanks a lot.  Gerry

Lake Forest California  5th inf 77 Armor Div. VN 68/69

If you put your town and state in your signature

help might be closer than you think.

GREENBIRD56
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
miker - Got your message, "reply" says your box is full......

I have the covers, they're stripped - but can't breathe in the garage due to monsoon rains (100% humidity) and 100°+ temps. Regardless of the weather - I owe you! Need mailing address.......

I also got a set of the Moog springs - #CC-850(?) Did you paint yours .... or use as is? I don't believe they will lower the birds like the sedans due to the engine set-back. And when you start paring off the pounds with aluminum engine parts, it has to raise things up a bit?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

miker
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Thanks, Steve, I emptied it out.

I've let the 'bird sit a bit, and put about 50 miles on it (the exhaust ends under the seat right now), to settle the springs.  After the heads are on,and the exhaust redone, I'll go back and look at how much I've got to cut them to get it level, or at least to my old measurements.  In Seattle, you either paint it or buy it in stainless, our monsoons last all year.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter