Profile Picture

rear main

Posted By Moz 17 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
hey guys which rear main is better when i replaced my crank i got a felpro gasket set which had the rope & neoprene seals i put the rope one in i got told by a customline guy the neoprene ones dont last long but the old girl has only done about 1200 miles since i put it in & its starting to leak so i was thinking maybe i should have put the neoprene one in.

moz.

moz. geelong victoria australia.

graduate 1980, bus, truck, car, hot rod, boat, submarine, hovercraft, hydrafoil, firetruck, mobile home, jet, helicopter, cruise ship, motorcycle, bicycle, santa's sleigh, clock, alloy bullbar, alloy fuel tank, lens, dr who's tardis, matter - anti matter warp drive buffer & y-block lover

Ted
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
I personally favor the neoprene rear main seals.  Just insure that the seal lips are facing the inside of the engine upon installing them.  I also offset the ends about 3/8" when putting them into their respective grooves or slots.  Additionally, I put some sealer on the bottom or the flat of the seal retainer cap before bolting it in place.  Before putting the side seals in the seal retainer, I squeeze a small amount RTV or silicone in the side holes and then let the side seals push this down to the bottom of the slots.  This stops a potential path at the block for the oil to travel through along the side of the seal retainer.  And be sure to put the supplied nails in the seal retainer side of the slot and not the block side of the side seals.  The side seals need a rubber contact at the block and the nails helps increase the pressure at this point.

Anyone else can feel free to add or modify based on their own personal experiences.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Moz
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

thanks ted i did all those things you mentioned with the side seals & the cap i even filled in around the bolt heads with rtv sealer any thing that looked like oil could come out of i should have put the neoprene one in.

moz.

graduate 1980, bus, truck, car, hot rod, boat, submarine, hovercraft, hydrafoil, firetruck, mobile home, jet, helicopter, cruise ship, motorcycle, bicycle, santa's sleigh, clock, alloy bullbar, alloy fuel tank, lens, dr who's tardis, matter - anti matter warp drive buffer & y-block lover

Ted
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
If you haven't done so already, you'll want to double check that the camshaft plug or the oil galley plugs in the back of the block are not contributing to oil leakage at the back of the engine. 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

pcmenten
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I'm not an expert, but from what I've heard, the problem with the rope seals is that they can leak when they dry out. If the vehicle is started with a dry rope seal, the seal can scorch from friction, and there's nothing for it except to replace the seal.

Best regards,

Paul Menten

Meridian, Idaho

Moz
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

thanks ted i checked those already

pcmenten the rope seal was put in when i changed cranks the engine was refited the next day i covered the rope seal in grease, the thing is it could be the drive way at home the house is on a hill & the driveway is on a nearly 45 degree angle i go up & down once a day its after that i see oil on the ground at home & work.

moz.

pcmenten
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)Supercharged (381 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Moz (7/15/2007)
thanks ted i checked those already

pcmenten the rope seal was put in when i changed cranks the engine was refited the next day i covered the rope seal in grease, the thing is it could be the drive way at home the house is on a hill & the driveway is on a nearly 45 degree angle i go up & down once a day its after that i see oil on the ground at home & work.

moz.

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if the grease sealed the rope and prevented it from absorbing oil.

Best regards,

Paul Menten

Meridian, Idaho

Moz
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

yeah im not sure the workshop manual said to either put oil on it or if not starting it for a couple of days coat it in grease i only put grease on the edge were it would run on the crank. my customline has a 351 cleveland when i built that engine i put a rope seal in did the grease thing fitted the engine 3 months later its still not leakingive also done this on lots of other engines our ozzie holdens all have rope seals never had a problem.

moz

aussie-y
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (56 reputation)Turbocharged (56 reputation)Turbocharged (56 reputation)Turbocharged (56 reputation)Turbocharged (56 reputation)Turbocharged (56 reputation)Turbocharged (56 reputation)Turbocharged (56 reputation)Turbocharged (56 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
g,day moz what i do with my cranks i get a reverse scoll put on the rear seal area that helps a lot ray

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/87bb8b10-6d67-4f43-8c99-4d39.jpg    RAY. Y,S ALWAYS
Moz
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

thanks ray i had another look yesterday & i really think its not the main but the cap itself i cleaned out the oil in that area ran it for 1/2 an hour no oil came out i really think it is my drive way causing it. moz

Reading This Topic

Site Meter