Profile Picture

1956 Customline 272 Motor

Posted By Ice0verlord 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
i was wondering if i could fit a 460 motor in my car and what kind of modifications would i be looking at?
aussiebill
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Ice0verlord (3/28/2011)
i was wondering if i could fit a 460 motor in my car and what kind of modifications would i be looking at?

Might be an idea to include some details of what car you are referring to, i would think it may be beyond you. Obvious mounting points, tailshaft, shift, exhaust, I persobally have fitted them in 56 custonline sedans.Smile.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Ice0verlord
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)

1956 Ford Customline 272 Block

glrbird
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You will have to Fab engine mounts, trans mount, exhaust clearance, oil pan virus cross member and steering linkage, front springs to handle the added weight and shift linkage if you keep it on the column. You might need to conceder the cooling system and if it will need upgrading. Then there is the issue of the rear end, may be change to a 9 inch. You could build a nice running Y-block for that kind of money.

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

Ice0verlord
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

ouch i really didnt want to have to mess with a cross member.. now i am wondering what motor i can fit that will not have to have to many adjustments
aussiebill
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Ice0verlord (3/29/2011)
ouch i really didnt want to have to mess with a cross member.. now i am wondering what motor i can fit that will not have to have to many adjustments

Y BLOCK!BigGrin

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

rick55
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)

As Bill says the Y Block should always be first choice. My experience is that the Cleveland 351 with a C4 is the next best. There is very little modification/fabrication necessary with this swap. It requires an adaptor to fit the Cleveland engine mounts to the original mounting point, a 4" plate between the gearbox mount and the existing cross member, tailshaft mod, exhaust and away you go.

Having said that Y Block is still the easiest and best.

Hope that gives you some insight.

Regards

Rick - West Australia
Do Y Blocks Downunder run upside down? Gravity Sucks!!
Ice0verlord
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

i know i want a y block but what y block XD theres different ones

thats the reason i came to this forum cuz its y-blocksforever.com =p
PWH42
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Any of the Y blocks(272,292,312) are a bolt in for your car.An engine out of a truck or a T-Bird will have a front motor mount that you won't use,but the engine is the same as a car engine.The only Ys that it's best to stay away from are the 54 239 and 256 models.They are good engines,but have some differences from the later models that make them a little less desirable.

Paul,

Boonville,MO

Reading This Topic

Site Meter