Profile Picture

Exhaust test to end all tests?

Posted By Ted 13 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 2:39:34 AM

Todd.  Your headers look really good coated.   The set I was using for the tests were not yet coated and there’s some horsepower to be found in the coatings as well as a reduction in the underhood temperatures when those coatings are applied both internally and externally.  Be forewarned that those ceramic coatings do not like being superheated as happens when the car is simply sitting at an idle for extended periods of time.  Any kind of air movement under the hood will allow the coating to remain shiny much longer but any overheating of them will dull the finish.  Whenever I run coated headers on the dyno, I have fans sweeping air across them to preserve the shine.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

BIGREDTODD
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Charlie,

While you probably have valid points from a pure power standpoint, there were a few key items that influenced my decision. I'm all but certain that the 312 in my 'Bird (upgraded with cam, big valves, intake, etc.) is by no means as stout as Ted's test engine.

With 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust, and the FOM transmission, the max HP and upper end is not nearly as important as torque. The cosmetic factor is also huge, given the amount of effort put into the under hood appearance. With the coating, (agree 100% with Ted's comments above) I believe the appearance and performance characteristics will be the best overall choice.

And Ted, that's just a Sanderson picture...mine haven't arrived yet. Probably next week. Once I finish everything on the LSR Uni' I'll be doing an ignition upgrage on the Caddy in my '60, then doing the (hopefully) final assembly under the hood on the 'Bird to get her going by the time fair weather arrives.

That is, if we (in CA) make it through the laughably apocalyptic snow dusting that the weather folks are predicting over the next couple of daysTongue

Todd in Central California...about half way between Fresno and Sacramento

1956 Thunderbird - 1960 F-100 - 1961 Starliner - 1961 Imperial

charliemccraney
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Oooooohhhhh, they're for the 'bird. I was thinking you were going to use them for the unibody. Nevermind.

Lawrenceville, GA
BIGREDTODD
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)Supercharged (349 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
charliemccraney (2/24/2011)
Oooooohhhhh, they're for the 'bird. I was thinking you were going to use them for the unibody. Nevermind.

...yeah, for the Uni', and what you said above is actually the path being taken, just not by me. I believe the cage guy is attacking that, but that's another threadWink

Todd in Central California...about half way between Fresno and Sacramento

1956 Thunderbird - 1960 F-100 - 1961 Starliner - 1961 Imperial

Ted
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 2:39:34 AM
yalincoln (2/22/2011)
say ted, could you show the ram horns in those two graphs, for the pick-up guys, thanks, wayne.
Wayne.  Took me a bit to figure out that you wanted to compare the ’57 exhaust manifolds to the Ram Horns?  If that’s the case, then here are the graphs for that comparison with and without mufflers.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

speedpro56
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Another thing when I talked to Jay at Sanderson he said once they have a pattern they can do different sizing on the runners as going from 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" etc in some cases.

-Gary Burnette-

yalincoln
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
thanks ted. i love those graghs. what dia. is the outlet in each manifold. and what length pipes are you using. 56"?

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.
ScottY
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)Normally aspirated (40 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
G'Day Ted,

And guys, I follow this site a lot , even though i rarely respond, (guess that's obvious), As with everyone, a thank you for your time and efforts, and if i may, I have a question that i've not seen, heard of, read or been able to have answered. (that's not to say it isn't out there) But why are the header flanges shaped as per port design/shape, when round pipe is used? (obviously) That is to say, why not just round flanges for round pipe? When as often as not, the pipe is somewhat "re-shaped" to fit the flange anyway. This of course is irrespective of engine make. I can only assume that there is a very good reason for it, and although i do have a theory or two of my own, i'm unable to see it/them as viable all the same. My main reasoning is along the lines of the effect on the airflow, transitioning from port to pipe.

Thanks for your thoughts and congrats on the EMC effort, "Outstanding"! I welcome any and all responses.

"MY TWO BOBS WORTH!" (Twenty Cents AUD)

Y-BLOCKS ROCK!!!!!

mctim64
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Great stuff Ted!  I've been fallowing it from the start, I just wish I could send you the custom set that will be made for the "Uni" it would be interesting to see how they do.  Maybe in the winter next year if you have the "Mule" up and ready. Wink

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b1f2e0d6-2566-46b3-b81d-3ff3.jpg   God Bless. Smile  Tim                           http://yblockguy.com/

350ci Y-Block FED "Elwood", 301ci Y-Block Unibody LSR "Jake", 312ci Y-Block '58 F-100, 338ci Y-Block powered Model A Tudor

tim@yblockguy.com  Visalia, California    Just west of the Sequoias

charliemccraney
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Tim, What about the set that was made for Charlie but didn't fit?

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter