Profile Picture

Tbird wheel/tire combination

Posted By Noob 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Anybody have any thoughts, guesses, experience with the largest tire size I could fit on 16" wheels to fit in the rear wells of my `57 bird without tubbing it?  I'm a fan of tire patch, so the wider the better. 

I dont know the offset of these AR Torq Thrust wheels I inherited, but mounted they appear standard compared to stock.

I'm prepared for some trial n error, but recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers... Brian

Cylinder Index = 84

Current Experiment = `57 Tbird, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 55 minutes ago
Summit (and probably others) sell a measuring devise that you bolt to your drum, adjust the arms accordingly as you roll it around your wheel opening, and check tire clearances.  Probably much better than trying various wheels and offsets.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Don Woodruff
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
If you are running the skirts, bout the only thing that fits is the original wheel/tire combination.

I have 14/5.5 in wheels with Coker wide whites (basically oem section width and height) from a Crown Vic on the front of mine. These just barely clear the "A" arms.I cannot put these on the back and put the skirts on.

GREENBIRD56
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I've got 225/50/16's on mine (no skirts) - you could probably go to 235's on the back with exactly the right backspace, and still have some clearance to prevent rubbing.

Hoosier is right about the careful mesurements - and you need to be a bit conservative about side clearances. Due to the sidesway of the leaf spring arrangement (and assuming no add-on "track bar") - you can get contact even though things look fine sitting in the driveway.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

55Birdman
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
I have 205 70 15s  7 in wide all the way around. Tight in the back . Front seems ok.

55Birdman Smile  Hickory NC
Noob
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Thanks, fellas... no skirts, but have track bar, so that's a helpful caution... I was leaning toward 235's, but the Summit gage/fixture could be a good investment to save me some money in trial/error.

Thumbs up... Brian

Cylinder Index = 84

Current Experiment = `57 Tbird, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Frankenstein57
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
You might try digging up old posts, someone had some current mustang wheel/tire combos on a 57 bird that looked quite nice

thanks, Mark
Frankenstein57
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
There it is 11 posts down in this catagory

thanks, Mark
speedpro56
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The largest I've run on my 56 tbird was 245/ 50/ 16s and alittle to close for comfort but they worked. The taller I went I had to bring in the width some. 235/ 60/ 16 and currently 225/ 70/ 16s and a little more comfort in wearing my fenderskirts. I did have traction masters with all these tires and still do.

-Gary Burnette-

miker
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
By coincidence,I spent yesterday going thru the old post, and also looking at the device at summit for measuring.  Like you I'm looking for a larger contact patch.  A few years ago I had Wheelsmith build me a set of 7" steel rims, I think with 5.5" of back spacing.  They fit on the back with a 9" WW pie crust cheaters, and looked cool.  drove terrible of course.  I had to "relieve" a bulge in the wheel well (for the trunk springs) a little, or they would rub there on a tight, uphill corner.  A panhard rod would also have solved the problem.  The skirts weren't even close to fitting with those tires.

Some of the earlier post also say a 2002 explorer 16x7 rim will fit front and rear, but I haven't had time to verify that.  The consensus on front backspacing seemed to be 3.75 inches, with perhaps one person saying 4", but that could have been a real low profile tire with not much bulge.  It looks to me that to get 7" rims all around, there might be more backspacing required in the back, at least to get the skirts on.

There was also some discussion about spring rates, and the use of early 90's 2wd aerostar front springs.  Anyone try that and care to post a report?

miker

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter