Profile Picture

PCV

Posted By Nathan Soukup 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Cool.I will come down to your shop and check it out.Everything seems to work right the way it is right now.I ended up sticking with the 300 six pcv.No issues so far,have to drive it more to see if its going to suck up oil.

55 fairlane gasser 312 /c4, 57 f100 292/c4, 52 mainline gasser 302/t10 4speed
southsidejohnny1954
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
hey Nate I have a good valley cover with the pcv provision that you are welcome to if you want it
GREENBIRD56
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I've got the PCV from the '64 truck motor on mine - and I had to put a "throttle" in the line to cut down on the huge amount of air she was passing. Still seems to be doing the job - but now not so much air. You could just about run the engine on it before!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
oldcarmark
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
When I rebuilt my motor last year I did something to avoid future leaks around the valley pan.I drlled and tapped for 8 machine screws around the perimeter.Block drills and taps very easily.The valley pan was a bad design from new I think.Now I have no leaks and hopefully that is the end of that problem.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Nathan Soukup
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)

Yeah, gaskets ,gaskets,gaskets....This engine only has maybe 15000 miles.Its just that the oil pan is like 50 years old and the valley cover ,well you get the idea,everything is 50 years old and is beat up.Gasket sealer on both sides of everything.Thing just leaks,but I still love my Y-Block! I will try one from a zephyr and let you know how that goes.I saw one on the Napa auto parts sight for a 64 292,I wonder if that one will work?

charliemccraney
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
A pcv valve in the valve cover will very likely pull oil without a baffle. Breathers seem to do fine without baffles. It might help, but don't expect it to fix your leaks. You're probably going to have to replace some gaskets at the minimum to get it to seal completely.

Lawrenceville, GA
oldcarmark
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I started with a 302 Ford and ended up using one off a 80 Zephyr-Fairmaont 4 cylinder.Flowed less-ran better.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Nathan Soukup
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanx guys .the reason for the pcv was to try and get this engine from leaking .It leaks from everywhere BUT the rear main.I actually tried one from a 300 six and that one seems better.

Dan in Seattle
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)Normally aspirated (25 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
As to the down tube breathers. After 500 miles I lifted my car to check the chassis work. Looking towards the rear it didn't seem right, seemed fuzzy actually, especially the differential housing. Went back and looked closer, it was fuzzy, the breather vapored the bottom of the car and caught the fuzz from the glass packs. I was proud of the perfect belly of the car and put the breather down the intake. Waste of time really cause in 12 years no one but me has seen under it's belly.

Hey Martin, take your key and make a scratch under one of your rocker panels so you won't fear getting your perfect paint hurt, I'm half done with breakfast watching you circle the parking lot 5 times looking for the safe spots. Build em to drive em.

Dan in Seattle
GREENBIRD56
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Nathan - I don't think it should be too detrimental to use your valve cover PCV attachment - the Y's don't usually put a lot of oil in the valve covers. All or nearly all of us run the motors with the covers off when checking out our rocker adjustment, flow out of the shaft end tubes, or etc. It doesn't exactly flood the interior of the rocker space.  If you have a cover with a neat attachment - why not use it?

Ted and others have high horsepower motors that don't appear to have problems with the "atmospheric" style of breather - so its likely that only a small amount of vacuum on the crankcase will do what you want. You may find that the 302 PCV is actually flowing more than you want it to.   

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Reading This Topic

Site Meter