Profile Picture

Initial Aluminum Cylinder Head Testing Protocols

Posted By Ted 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Grizzly (4/13/2010)
On Dyno testing this is obviously a testing ground where they can show thier worth.  I for one would be interesed in seeing a milder street engine tested as well as a hotter race engine. Obviously not every application can be tested but this would give a reasonable range for customers who would be interested.

Also on reliability is a set of heads going to be tested on something that is regularly driven. Obviouly racing shows how they will perform (last) in the high temp high pressure environment that racing is, but daily driving has it's own set of extremes. Multipule warm up and cool down cycles, traffic, lugging loads I can see that these heads could be used in many applications, as many as there are Y block interest groups and be used in T birds, F100, trucks, a range of passenger cars from rods to full size cars.  I'm wondering how reliability will be tested? 

This first pair of aluminum heads will be tested on the 312 dyno mule which is currently a 9.2:1 engine with a Crower street cam, 1.54:1 rocker arms, Mummert single four intake, and a prepped Holley.  The mule engine currently has a set of stock and unported G heads and that will be the basis for the comparision difference.  This particular engine has been selected for the initial testing as it is very representative of what the mainstream enthusiast would be typically running.

The heads for the EMC engine will be a different set of heads fully prepped with that competition in mind.  The heads being used for the mule engine test and for publicity purposes have intentionally been left as what I’ll call the ‘standard fare’ heads without the additional stages of port work that would be done for an all out performance engine.

At the conclusion of testing on the dyno mule, the heads will be disassembled and thorougly examined for any premature wear characteristics.  Barring any issues in that area, they will then be reinstalled on a 318 cubic inch Y buildup designed around these heads.  This is a customers engine and will be run on the dyno before that engine is released for street driver use in a ’56 Ford Club Sedan with a five speed.  Once this engine is in the car, then a longer term evaluation will be taking place.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

charliemccraney
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Can't wait!

Lawrenceville, GA
Grizzly
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Ted, It looks like you have it all worked out. Just what I'd expect to see. Development at every stage seems to be well thought out and testing is no different. Testing on the mule will be interesting. I'm keen to see if there is a improvement accross the whole power band. This will be what will make it streetable.  

Please keep us up to date with the progress.    

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/41f30774-424d-428d-9c7a-e351.jpg Grizzly (Aussie Mainline)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter