Profile Picture

Grooving center block journal?

Posted By Philo 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
I've been researching rocker arm related info on the site and have a question about connecting the 3 holes in the block cam journal with a groove to increase oil flow to the rockers. I imagine this is done with a die grinder and narrow grinding wheel? If this is true, then what width and how deep??

I understand that restrictor plugs would then be needed in the oil passages in the heads or rocker stands to prevent flooding of the valve chamber even with unrestricted return tubes.

What is the advantage gained by this modification?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

FIGHT CONFORMITY! 
Ted
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago

The groove will be adequate being between 0.040 & 0.060” wide and a mininum of 0.030” deep.  These are minimum values so being larger than these values is not a detriment.  Be careful when cutting the groove that you don’t nick the journal surface leading to the outside of the journal hole to the point that oil can free flow when under pressure to the blocks interior once the cam bearing is installed.  Here’s a couple of pics of the added groove when looking at it with a mirror.

And here’s a pair of pics of the tool that was made to facilitate putting the groove into the center cam journal.

The indepth article covering this in more detail is in the May-Jun 2009 (#92) issue of Y-Block Magazine.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

grovedawg
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)Supercharged (256 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
I've been looking for this for TWO WEEKS! Thanks for posting the info!

Heber City, UT (15 mins outside of Park City- basically it's in the mountains)

55 Effie
Rono
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
guys;

Here's another option; Schumann's Sales and Service is selling a cam bearing set where the center cam bearing is grooved on the O.D. So it won't matter if the bearing is mis-aligned on installation or if the bearing spins, you will still get oil to the rockers. Seems to methis would save you alot of work.

Rono. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

PF Arcand
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
What I don't recall being mentioned in any the discussions of top oiling is this. According to Eickman's Y-Block book, three different styles of cam bearings were used in the oil supply position. Which begs the question, which style is normally being sold now? Another factor is that according to John Mummert, many replacement cam cores sold in the recent past, had the oiling grooves turned to shallow. Further, Ted has mentioned that some inferior Cam bearings are on the market. Which ones? How can a rebuilder know which parts he's working with?. This is an area of a Y-Block engine rebuild, that is really cloudy & needs positive clarification. I'm sure a further in depth discussion here and or an article in YBM is warranted...

Paul
chiggerfarmer
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I second the idea about more info on cam bearings. I sure would like to know of the brands/kinds, etc that seem to be inferior.

Tom from the chiggerfarm located in the beautiful Heart of Central Texas

When you cannot dazzle others with your brilliance, baffle them with bullcorn! BigGrin
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
the bearings sold today are for the grooved cam but you can still get them for the crossdrilled.i only bought a few sets for the y and got no less than 2 bad sets.the first set came in a federal mogul box over 20 years ago.you could almost push them in by hand.the second set i got from j c witney and the holes didnt line up.i wonder how many got a set of those.that was about 10 years ago.
Ted
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago

The grooved camshaft will effectively supply oil to the topend regardless of the cam bearing style being used.  It’s the cross drilled camshafts that do get a bit picky on the bearing style.  If not doing the aforementioned grooving in the center cam bearing hole or on the backside of the bearing, then the three oil holes in the cam bearing must still be properly aligned with those in the center cam hole in the block regardless of which style cam bearing is being used.  Grooving the center cam hole in the block or the grooving the outside of the cam bearing itself takes the cam bearing style out of the equation altogether.  The hole in the bearing allowing oil to feed to the camshaft itself still needs to be aligned with the same hole that feeds down to the mains though.

The latest Sealed Power cam bearings are of the soft babbitt design.  Believe the number is 1160M without looking this up.  These particular bearings were ‘hard’ and when Sealed Power changed the bearing design so that one part number would fit both grooved and cross-drilled cams, the bearings went to using a softer material.  The part number did not change when the bearing design and material changed so that really compounds the problem on that particular bearing.  For my own builds, I prefer the Durabond cam bearings which is a division of Melling.

Here are some Durabond cam bearing numbers for the Y-Blocks.

For grooved camshaft – F9A

For crossdrilled camshaft – F9B

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

cos
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Thanks Ted for info. I saw a picture of a build you were doing with a drill motor, do you use a abrasive wheel also? Thanks for links Bill Oregon
Brent
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

Ted's earlier post seems to indicate that a grooved cam solves the top end oiling issues. I intend to use one of John's cams:
http://www.ford-y-block.com/valvetrain.htm  and forego the center journal groove.

I have edited my earlier posted question after reading and then rereading these posts.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience and knowledge... There is no doubt that my engine has benefited!
THANKS!!!

.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci

Reading This Topic

Site Meter