Profile Picture

Grooving center block journal?

Posted By Philo 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
you can cut the groove deeper in any cam without buying a new one.not many people cut the groove in the block unless your using heavy spring pressure.
NoShortcuts
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Brent.  Darrell's comment is a GooD one regarding valve spring pressures.  IMO valve spring pressure NECESSARY depends upon cam lobe ramps, valve lift, AND the operating RPM you're realistically going to use with your engine use application.  I don't like to use more spring pressure than necessary! 

I consider the use of Verne Schumann's Dura-Bond F-9A y-block camshaft bearings w/ the 360 degree perimeter groove in the O.D. of the center cam bearing as oiling assurance for y-block rocker arm assemblies.  In using Verne's bearings, as Ted indicated, the hole in the bearing allowing oil to feed to the camshaft itself must be aligned with the hole that feeds up from the crank main bearing.

As a hobbyist, I try to do things in a manner that doubly assures that I won't have to do them again because of any problem. 

I think you can obtain Verne's modified cam bearings from John Mummert.  IF not, Verne's address is Schumann's Sales & Service Inc.  227 W. Mayne St.  Box 128  Blue Grass, IA  52726.  There is no web address or e-mail address to reach Verne.  I recommend calling him @ 563-381-2416.  Check your time zone difference in calling.

John or Geoff Mummert or Ted Eaton can advice you as to what springs to use with the camshaft being used and the maximum RPM you're going to operate your valve train assembly.

I'd like to hear about the use of bee-hive springs for street applications to reduce valve spring cam lobe and cylinder head seat pressures, and cam bearing wear issues.

Food for thought.    Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter