Profile Picture

Found: An untouched 56 HI Po kit

Posted By Don Woodruff 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
A fellow on the FE forum found and purchased a ney in unopened crate complete 56 ford HiPo kit 2x4 intake, heads, carbs,linkage, aircleaner, cam and lifters. see below.

The seller purchased it new paid $300 back in the day. That for you younkers was BIG money, about a months gross wages for a well paid guy. The kit was new in crate and fron the pictures in immaculate condition.

Made an amazing purchase.....Today, from the original owner, where it has sat under his workbench for over 50 years. A complete "High Power" engine modification kit for the 1956 312 engine - still in the crate! Part no. B6A-9000-B stenciled on the crate. Kit consists of: alum 2x4 intake w/2 'teapot' carbs, 2 'special' cyl heads, camshaft and lifters, gy-normous 2x4 air cleaner, all linkage and lines, hardware/brkts etc, dist recurve kit w/instructions, all gaskets, even the hot air tube system for the (2) automatic chokes. Also has 3 page installation instructions listing Dearborn Steel Tubing(!) as the contact for customer service. I have noted that the carbs mount 'backwards' with a very FE-like 2x4 linkage setup. The old boy told me he ordered it from the Ford dealer and paid around $300 - "big money back in those days". Needless to say, opening and unpacking that crate for inspection was almost a religious experience! I'm an FE guy, but I figure the Y-block/T-bird folks might have a special appreciation for a genuine 'time capsule'. Randy Millard (Henrysnephew)

Ted
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Don.  Thanks for sharing.  It would be nice if the cam specs were reversed engineered before it got away though.  This being found just goes to show just what is still laying around and never was used.  Similarly, I’ve had my eye on some Ardun cylinder heads for a Flattie that are new in the boxes and have simply been put up for half a century.  As an FYI, the duplicate post you had under the This-N-That section I took the liberty of deleting.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

63 Red Stake Bed
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Wow! Out of curiosity, what are the casting letters or numbers on the underside of the intake port pads of those heads? They look unique indeed! It might be interesting as Ted mentioned to ship the cam off to get it's grind specifications taken so that the grind can be reproduced for others use. Very cool find!
Oldmics
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I have the specs for the cam.Just never knew that it was used in that kit!

Got them from Dennis K

Cereal Killer or Don Woodruff-I attempted to join that Forum to Contact Randy with no success.

Apparently the Forum is not taking applications at this time.

Would one of you gentlemen please P.M. him since your a member and ask him to contact me at

Oldmics@Yahoo.com.

I have much information to add and also questions about the kit.

An incredable piece of history that I have been working on for years!

Thank you,John Harding

Oldmics

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 11 hours ago
Those C heads reportedly were milled .060 at the factory for the kit.  If the original owner got the kit for $300, he got a deal.  When Hot Rod Mag reported on Emil "Bird on the Wing" Constantino's engine build, they stated that he had to give $400 for the kit, and all he wanted was the intake.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
bird55
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
awesome find, just curious enough to wonder what he paid, I'd never tell!Wink

Yesterday at the Tulsa Tbird Regionals I looked at a 56 bird with the original "dealer added 2-4 setUp". Indeed a rare setup for a 56. see if I can check the head #'s today.

Lots of other good stuff there as well, 2 blower cars and several e-setUps.

I'll try to get some pics t.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

Unibodyguy
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
EDB-6250-B 1/14/56 B6A-6250-E 260/260 .278/.278 112 .019H/.019H 22 BTDC 0.0150 58 ABDC 0.0150 66 BBDC 0.0150 14 ATDC 0.0150

Here are the cam specs from the F.E Site for the package, not as wild as I thought it might be.

Michael

Sandy Valley, NV

Don Woodruff
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Oldmics:

Randy e-mailed me you two had touched base, I had e-mailed him your request. I had voluntered to get the cam "cam doctored" But that probably will not happen. I do not think I would let the parts leave my sight with out cash in hand.

Ted
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago

Specs in my literature for the EDB-B cam are as follows which differs slightly from what’s posted above:

Cam lobe lift int & exh – 0.273”

Int opens… 22° BTDC @ 0.015”

Int close…  58° ABDC @ 0.015”

Exh opens.  58° BBDC @ 0.015”

Exh close .  14° ATDC @ 0.015”

Int opens ..  18° ATDC @ 0.100”

Int close…  18° ABDC @ 0.100”

Exh opens . 26° BBDC @ 0.100”

Exh close..  26° BTDC @ 0.100”

The cam will have an “E” stamped on the nose of it.

Typos in service bulletins are not unheard of though.

It would be nice to know if the cam in that kit does indeed have the “E” on the front of it.  And being Cam Doctored would verify the specs as I’ve reverse engineered several cams now that did not match up to the original specifications.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Oldmics
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Don Woodruff

Thank you for eMailing Randy.I do appreciate it Smile

Since I have communication with Randy I will ask about the "E" on the camshaft.

Be interesting to see where this goes.

Oldmics

Reading This Topic

Site Meter