Profile Picture

PCV Mod for the Y

Posted By 2DRHRDTP57 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Look for a PCV valve for an engine around 300 cubic inches.

I saw one at my NAPA store (for a 283 BelAir) and found it is BLOCKED when you blow in the threaded end.  These valves have no arrow or other indicator as to direction of flow.  You have to test each one.

There are lots of pcv valves that can be used, including the "double hose ends" if you want to do your own modification.  Some have an ell at one end, which helps too.

If you have a carb spacer, you can tap the hole and screw a modern PCV into it (available everywhere for three bucks).

Royal Oak, Michigan (Four miles north of Detroit, and 12 miles NORTH of Windsor, Canada).  That's right, we're north of Canada.

Ford 292 Y-Block major overhaul by simplyconnected

lowrider
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I did some more research on my NAPA pcv# CRB29255. Fits 63 Tbird & Galaxies 390 engine. Also fits 62 Galaxie with a 292. That must be the pcv valve shown in the epay ad for the part that installs in the valley pan (early Calif. emissions?). Shouldn't cost but a few bucks (I'm lucky, get %10 over cost at NAPA). If it doesn't work, I'll check out the Corvette site mentioned.

Dan      Kingman Az.      86409
lowrider
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)

I received my NAPA Pcv valve today. Tried it out on a car here in the shop and it works opposite of the way I need it. I guess I'll plumb it in for now and keep looking for one that works the right way.

charliemccraney
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I wouldn't use it at all if it doesn't work as needed.

Lawrenceville, GA
simplyconnected
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)Supercharged (314 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
All you had to do was blow into the threaded end.  PCV's are check valves in one direction, so you don't blow backfire into your crankcase.

The one you bought can be used if you screw it into a 1" carburetor spacer.
You cannot screw it into your valley pan or block.

See previous posts.

Royal Oak, Michigan (Four miles north of Detroit, and 12 miles NORTH of Windsor, Canada).  That's right, we're north of Canada.

Ford 292 Y-Block major overhaul by simplyconnected

Dan
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
so if I install a pcv like the ac one can I block off the road draft tube on the drivers side of the block???
charliemccraney
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Dan (5/6/2009)
so if I install a pcv like the ac one can I block off the road draft tube on the drivers side of the block???

Yep!

Lawrenceville, GA
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Simplyconnected posted above that a pcv valve is a check valve to prevent a backfire from entering the crankcase.  This is simply incorrect information.  A pcv is an ORIFICED check valve, which means it has full flow in one direction and restricted flow in the other.  (Ref: '65 GM factory shop manual, '68 Ford/Merc factory shop manual, '68 Chilton repair manual).

The valve is installed so that under high vacuum conditions, ie idle, the pintle moves away from the full flow position to allow a small amount of air to flow.  At low vacuum conditions, ie cruise, the pintle moves to the full flow position for maximum scavenging.  At idle, if the valve were full open, it would be a huge vacuum leak.  A backfire would be the opposite of high vacuum, since it is pressure.  The pintle would move to full flow and would not restrict the backfire pressure from entering the crankcase.  If the system is workinig properly, there shouldn't be any explosive gases in the crankcase anyway.

I found an old pcv in my box of "stuff" this morning that works properly when threaded into the crankcase, ala Dutchy's installation.  It is an AC #CV590C.  Unfortunately I can't reference what size engine it came from.  Anyione have an AC catalog?

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

lowrider
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I saw that number on CorvetteCentral.com. while searching for a cross reference to CV726C. Fits a 62-64 Corvette. Didn't say what engine. And thanks for that last post. That NAPA part #29255 and Standard #V100 does cross from CV726C

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Those corvettes would have 327 engines, so the valve should be OK on a Y Block.  Same valve probably fits other 327s of that era, not just corvettes.  I forgot to mention in my last post, the Chiltons manual has info for test proceedures of carb calibrations.  You put a plug in the pcv hose with a drilled hole to replicate the restriction of the valve.  The largest engines only used a 1/8" hole. 

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter