Profile Picture

Timing question

Posted By Indianbullet 2 days ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 days ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Yeah, Ted I measured it against the original 56 distributor, and just did again and they are both 5" from the base. Gear width is the same, diameter is the same. 
Here is a photo of the gear mesh. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d860307-a0a8-415e-80b7-cdd.jpeg 
Ted
Posted 2 days ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
It’s good that you caught that distributor issue now instead of just a few miles down the road.  Extended running like that does force some additional wear at both the distributor gear and the gear on the camshaft.

It’s always prudent to measure both the distributor block cavity depth in the block and the gear placement on the distributor to ensure that the distributor gear placement is not more than the block measurement.  I have come across my share of Ford V8 distributor block cavity holes that were less than specification and that does force the distributor gear to be relocated in order to compensate.  The 351W engines seem to be the worst of the lot but have come across the problem in the 460 Fords and the Ford Y-Blocks to a lesser degree.  What few Pertronix distributors I have dealt with for the Ford Y have always had the gear located at the Ford specification but…..  if that hole in the block is on the shallow side, then the distributor gear will have an interference fit or said another way, will be in a bind when the distributor is tightened down.  As a FYI, the MSD distributors for the Ford Y have always had the gear placed on the shaft at an amount less than the Ford specification and I suspect this is to compensate for those blocks that may have a distributor cavity hole that is less than factory specification.

Just food for thought and something else to check.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Brent
Posted 2 days ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (420 reputation)Supercharged (420 reputation)Supercharged (420 reputation)Supercharged (420 reputation)Supercharged (420 reputation)Supercharged (420 reputation)Supercharged (420 reputation)Supercharged (420 reputation)Supercharged (420 reputation)

My FBO Ignition setup calls for:
14° initial timing at idle with no vacuum
Full (not timed) manifold vacuum adds 16° at 16” = 30° at idle
at 3400 rpm 22° = 36° all in

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/17686150-f5ca-4cc0-a7f0-beb9.jpg
.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ad7450e6-bad8-43db-880a-5d81.jpg http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c63fa8b7-8d46-4b6f-91a4-19d8.jpg

55blacktie
Posted 2 days ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

The original Ford distributors don't have a bottom bushing, although having one should be an improvement over the original design. Other than that, all I can say is That Sucks!
Indianbullet
Posted 2 days ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)

Welp, looks like I found another problem. Pulled the Distributor so I could reposition it to have more clearance for the VA. as well as put lighter springs in it. And found this. Looks like the bottom bushing is eating the housing of the distributor? Needless to say I'm not pleased at what could be circulating through my brand new engine. Lots of end play, and some lateral movement. Needless to say it won't be going back in. I'll be calling Summit and Pertonix tomorrow.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a6139d66-70a9-4aec-bd74-0e3.jpeg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/231a1f3f-6cb1-4d02-9442-ad2.jpeg
55blacktie
Posted 2 days ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

I stand corrected on Howard's advertised rpm range; it's 1800-5000, not 2000-5000. 
Indianbullet
Posted 2 days ago
View Quick Profile

Ted the roller timing set from John has provisions for dot to dot straight up alignment as in most engines, as well as the ability to confirm and count 12 pins. It was not degreed. I can't tell where the timing is all in at as my tac is in the cab, and I'm by myself. 
I'll try to hit up a friend and see if he has a dial back timing light I can confirm against. I've got some work to do for sure. 
Thanks again. 
55blacktie
Posted 2 days ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Indian, you probably are aware that Howard's advertises an rpm range of 2000-5000 for that cam. It could be that you simply need to downshift to 4th to bring the rpm up. I've not owned any vehicle with automatic overdrive that didn't immediately shift down whenever applying just slight pressure on the pedal. Years ago, my dad's 63 pickup (won't mention make) with 3-on-the-tree manual and overdrive would do the same. In your case, it requires a little more effort. With just 20 miles on the clock, maybe you just need to give it a bit more time. I would expect at least 14 inches of vacuum, but your elevation might be enough to bring it down an inch. Nevertheless, keep us posted. 
Ted
Posted 2 days ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I would check your timing light against a known good one.

Was the camshaft degreed in or simply installed at 12 pins between the marks?

How much total ignition timing?  And at what rpm is the distributor timing ‘all in’?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Indianbullet
Posted 2 days ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for the response guys,
30* initial timing is at about 650-700 rpm. Distributor installed with timing mark at TDC, rotor ready to fire #1. Engine lit right off, did cam break in ect. 
Ted the light I'm using is my 40 year old craftsman dial back light. God knows it's been abused. 
I will reference the keyway on the dampener.
Blacktie, the cam seems to work well with my setup Idles with just a mild bit of a chop, pulls good through the gears, like I said I only have about 20 miles on it. I am kind of concerned about being able to pull off of the 2000rpm mark in 5th gear, not happy with that at the moment. Foot to the floor and no pull, advancing timing did help, hence the reason I want to poor a bit more too it, as I'm not getting any indication of ping at this point. I may try the lightest set of springs in the distributor to see if that helps, it has the medium in it now as I recall. 
It may be a few days before I can back on it. but I will keep you all posted.
And thanks again for all your feedback.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter