Profile Picture

Tire size?

Posted By B-rad 3 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Anyone else have trouble getting the rear wheel out of the fender on a 54 capri? I have 195/60/R15 tires and they're too wide to get out, even removing the skirts.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
miker
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

If I’m reading the charts right, that’s a shorter and not wider tire. Try letting it down enough to put the axle and tire on the ground, and remove the lower shock mount. Sometimes the replacements shocks don’t have as much travel, and the axle can’t drop enough to clear the tire. Those of us fitting oversized tires and aftermarket shock have that happen.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
B-rad
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)Supercharged (799 reputation)

It definitely is the width. It gets caught between the inside of the fender and the drum. It'll just hang thereswinging until I get some2x4 or something in there and pry it out. Not too convenient is this happens on the side of the road.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Are you lifting the car with the bumper, undercarriage, differential or axel?  The axel assembly needs to be hanging down free.  Joe-JDC

JDC
B-rad
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

So I should be jacking it up by the frame?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
MoonShadow
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Jacking under the frame lets the rear end hang down further and helps some. Also taking the shocks loose at the bottom first lets it hang down even more. Then you also need to check inner and outer clearance for frame and body. I use truck front shocks on the back of my Vicky that are a little longer. Part numbers are on here someplace do a search.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
oldcarmark
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Gabriel G63398 or equivalent. Fit same as stock but extend longer to allow Axle to drop far enough to remove Wheel. I have them on my 1956 Fairlane..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
alanfreeman
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)Supercharged (834 reputation)

I am running wider than stock wheels and tires on the rear of my '54 Mainline and I found that the only way I can get the wheel/tire out is to deflate the tire so that it clears the inner lip of the wheel well.  Try deflating the tires and see if this also works for you.
MoonShadow
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

That's the ones!

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)Supercharged (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
I’m guessing you Lincoln came with 7.60-15’s. A 60 series tire is much wider. In today’s sizing a 75 series will be the widest tire you can probably use. As an example an original 6.70 is a 205, a 7.10 is a 215, a 7.60 is a 225 and a 8.20 is a 235. 
The original width is probably equal to a 85 series today but those are mostly on trailers and some trucks. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter