Profile Picture

56 Mercury Rear Crossmember, change to bolt in.

Posted By Kingfisher 3 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)Normally aspirated (47 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 hours ago
I recently did some work on the 56 Mercury 4 door trans and tilting it sufficiently to maneuver around the welded in cross member was a pain. I reckon it would be so much easier if the cross member was bolt in. I don't plan on pulling it out again in the foreseeable future, but it's bound to happen again one day. So I'm thinking to cut the cross member and create a bolt in arrangement. Or more particularly, get someone with the skills to do it for me.
Any thoughts on if this is wise and how best to go about it? Has anyone done it? And any photos if you have?
paul2748
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Not being familiar with the crossmenber in the Merc so this is a guess.

With a sawsall cut the current crossmenber right where it meets the frame.  Cut it at the same angle as it is mounted if you can..  Make up end plates to be welded to the crossmember.  Check all dimensions and fitment so the crossmember, with plates attached, fits in where it was originally and them weld plates to crossmember..  Drill holes (four per plate).  Mock up crossmember on the frame and mark where the holes should be. and drill frame. 

A varient - when making plates, make a hole big enough that you can fit the crossmemer into the plates.  This will make it stronger.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter