Profile Picture

1955 Ford Customline Stuck in 1st gear

Posted By Phil Gillespie Last Month
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Had the 55 Ford Customline out for a short run yesterday. Have just aquired this one.
Started up reversed out of car park then into first gear for trip home. Could not get the column change manual/overdrive gearbox to shift out of first gear into 2nd gear. Just would not budge via operating column shift. Could not get it to move. Ended up driving the short distance home in first gear with assistance of the overdrive. Presently parked in driveway while I think things out!!
Is it best to disconnect both gear change levers at the colujmn gear change assembly. Then attempt to get the side levers at gearbox into the neutral position. Or disconnect at gearbox end nd try for neutral position.
Hoping to get this into neutral position by advised method. Then to check gear change linkage once in neutral as per adjustment of gear change linkage.
Grateful for any pointers to assist with this problem.
Thanks Phil Gillespie
NZ
Ted
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Be sure to block the wheels or properly lift the vehicle before doing the following.

With the load off of the driveshaft, I would suggest try moving the arms at the transmission first before disassembling anything.  Assuming the transmission arms move freely and you get them in the neutral position, then the column shift mechanism under the hood can be checked for proper adjustment and/or for any slop in the pivot points.

Other suggestions always welcome.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

MoonShadow
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Back in the day I had a weak 6 cyl 3 speed trans in my 57 Ford. It had a habit of hanging up between 1st and 2d. Drove the car home. Next day I jacked it up, using a bumper jack and of course no jack stands. After all it was the 60's. Crawled under with a wrench and popped it out of gear. Great! Then the car rolled back, off the jack and pinned me underneath. My head was near the trans so that was no problem but since the car was lowered the frame was firmly on my chest! About 1/2 hour later my mom came out to check on me since she hadn't seen me move lately. She said are you ok? I said no get this damn car off of me. My mom said if your going to cuss I'll just leave your there. Mom wasn't a weekend Christian. 

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Lou
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Have someone depress the clutch, open the hood, at the bottom of the steering column at the end of the shift rod you will see 2 small levers connected to the rods that go to the transmission.
One of the small levers will be lower than the other, with your hand lift the lower lever so that its even   with the other lever.
This should solve the problem.  (PS lube the levers) 
gyrogary
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (19 reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
It'll be RH drive and will have a couple of linkages that go under the gearbox to get the shift levers to the RH side of the box.
They will be worn in the linkages and one of them will have flipped over center

Gary- Havelock, New Zealand.

Phil Gillespie
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)

Thanks so much for your helpful advive. Back end up on axle stands. Front end wheels blocked. !st gear had over centred. Got it into neutral position without any linkage disconnection. @nd & 3rd lever was sitting lower with shift in neutral..
Found that the lower nut had backed off the threaded screw end. Adjusted it back up in place. Both levers are now in same place in neutral position. Some movement at linkage pins. Wear in this area. Will check and sort. Lubed the arms on steering column. Its good at present and would be better to remove the free movement at these link pin areas.
Again much appreciated for the advice given.
Phil NZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter