Profile Picture

Valve cover torque spec.

Posted By 30 coupe Last Month
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Can anyone tell me if there is a specific torque spec. for the acorn nuts on the cast aluminum valve covers , such as the Thunderbird covers, or an aftermarket cover , such as Offenhauser, or Edelbrock? , or do you just snug them down? any info would be appreciated, Thanks.---  Jim
Ted
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
The torque specs in the ’57 Shop Manual (page 1-84) calls for 2-2½ ft/lbs.  The manual does not specify steel or aluminum but would assume that’s the steel cover specification.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55blacktie
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

If using a torque wrench, it might be safer to use inch lbs; don't over-tighten, or they'll leak. 
Deyomatic
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)

I snagged mine from YBloke in Australia...
Ultimately he told me to get them down to 5-6 lb/ft...here is my HAMB Thread asking all about it.  
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/y-block-valve-cover-leaks.1297221/#post-14929287

This is for cast aluminum.

30 coupe
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thanks to all you fellows who replied to my question, they are all very helpful, and give me a good idea of what I wanted to know. I will be installing a set of Ace custom Mercury script valve covers in a week or 2. I have had them for about 3 years, and am going to swap out my old Offenhauser covers for the ace custom ones, and don't want to mess them up .  Thanks again to everyone.--- JIm
miker
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
You’ll like them on the engine even better. They go on just fine. For those who haven’t seen them. Mine painted to match.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
55blacktie
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

I bought an Ace valley cover during the pandemic. Initially, I couldn't contact them because everything in NZ had shut down. Once I made contact, everything went well. I think it was "Randy" who was very helpful. The currency exchange rate is in our favor, the valley cover arrived ahead of schedule, no duty fees, and I'm happy with the quality. A pcv grommet was included, but no baffle on the underside. Randy said that they don't include a baffle due to varying lengths of pcv valves. According to Ted, it's not necessary for the baffle to completely enclose the pcv valve; the sides can remain open. However, you do want the baffle to deflect oil away from directly splashing onto the pcv valve. 

How's my memory, Ted?
charliemccraney
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I've been using baffled grommets.  They work great.

Lawrenceville, GA
55blacktie
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Charlie, can you post a photo? How about part no. & source? Thanks.
charliemccraney
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
https://www.summitracing.com/search/baffled-grommet/yes?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=breather+grommet&N=part-type%3avalve-cover-grommets

Also available many other places, I'm sure.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter