Profile Picture

Going to a GPS Speedo...capping the old one off...

Posted By Deyomatic 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 hours ago
I'm wondering if anyone knows how much pressure this speedo fitting is under.  
Some of you may have been following my story about swapping in an oddball AMC transmission that's essentially a Ford 3.03 with a planetary gear OD setup on the back...

Anyway- I want to cap off this speedo (of course it's the spot that's the tightest location) but I don't know how much pressure this is under.  One guy using the same transmission said he used silicone to plug it up but I'm not sure I understood what he plugged up.  The threaded piece fits over the crimped nipple.  The guys on the HAMB said to put a rubber cap on it.  I'm not so sure that the rubber cap I have is stout enough, but it fits.  

Looking for thoughts on how much pressure this fitting is under...and how else I can get rid of it...Can I snip this crimped part off completely?  Should I remove the blue gear?  
Thanks in advance.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6a495883-4ddc-42ed-b317-c217.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d3be6e84-f87f-4ed2-92da-93b0.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6b09414f-0a3f-4e4c-866f-cba1.jpg
miker
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Shouldn’t be under any hydraulic pressure. I think the suggestion of a “rubber plug” referred to the expanding kind, like they make to replace soft plug (freeze plugs, core plugs, whatever you call them). I don’t quite understand how it all goes together, but pull the gear, put the housing in with the o ring on it, and I’m guessing the other part secures it. Plug the middle with whatever will work.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
paul2748
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Can you make up an aluminum plug the size of the part that has the O ring and hold it down with the factory clamp?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Deyomatic
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)

Sounds good, Miker.  Thanks.
I had one suggestion to weld up the hole in the threaded part...I might try a rubber cork first, assuming I can get one the right size.  If that doesn't work, the threaded part is getting welded.  
miker
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Someone may correct me, but I wouldn’t use a cork. Even the ones from a good bottle of wine. If that center “pin” is where the drive cable went, and that’s the leak, a good cleaning in solvent to get the oil out, a bit of lacquer thinner, and then some JB weld might work. But a touch of weld would be better.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Deyomatic
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I took all the pieces out today and welded up the back end of the threaded piece just enough so it still inserts where it is supposed to...then I used RTV to make seal the two parts together.  Fingers crossed, it's good.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter