Profile Picture

Electrical Gremlin

Posted By Richard 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Recently I was baffled by my distributor and coil system was not producing a spark at the plug even though I was getting power to coil and distributor.  Out of the car and on a test fixture spark was produced.  I tested a few distributors and coils all the same results.  My wiring harness is a reproduction appearing in good condition.i hooked up a headlight bulb to a load on to see if it would light, it didn’t.
 I made some ten foot jumper cables going from the ignition switch to the coil, it lite the head lite bulb

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7e8496e9-0cad-4235-a58f-294.jpeg. Got spark and determined something amiss in the wire from the ignition switch to coil so I replaced it an all is good.
Point being even though the original wire produced twelve volts apparently there was not enough amps to push it.
Attached is my test fixture 

miker
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I like the test fixture. Got some of that strut out in the garage, but wouldn’t have thought of that. Last year I finished fighting a problem like that. A wire that carried enough voltage to read good, but under load had enough resistance to drop the voltage below what a starter solenoid required. Glad you found it.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
miker
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Removed duplicate

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter