Profile Picture

WTB 55/56 or '57 thunderbird tachometer

Posted By yblock57 2 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Looking for a factory tach. Any year 55-7. Does not have to be in working order, just complete and restorable.

Thanks!

Kent — Round Rock, TX
'56 F-100  | '56 Crown Vic  |  '57 Fairlaine 500  |  '57 Thunderbird

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 50 minutes ago
'55 and '56 tachs are larger diameter than '57.  Which do you need?.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
yblock57
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Prefer a 57, but open to either. Planning on using it on the column of my 56 truck for a period-correct look.

Kent — Round Rock, TX

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 50 minutes ago
T-Bird tachs are mechanical tachs and would require a tach drive distributor.  Maybe you need an  older Sun or  Stewart Warner electric tach to be period correct for your truck.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
yblock57
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hoosier Hurricane (2/20/2024)
T-Bird tachs are mechanical tachs and would require a tach drive distributor.  Maybe you need an  older Sun or  Stewart Warner electric tach to be period correct for your truck.

Hoosier - You are correct. Been shopping around for a couple of years weighing those exact options. Do like the SUN & SW tachs but difficult to find a reasonably priced working example and not interested in the more common 8k dial scales. 

I have a source that can convert cable-driven to work with a conventional coil signal. Trying to keep things looking 'somewhat' period-correct. Without going big $$$. If a 57 bird tach ends up not working/looking decent in my truck, it could always go in the clock spot on the 56 crown.

Kent — Round Rock, TX

miker
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 16 minutes ago
I’m not sure what’s “period correct” to you, or the dash in your truck. But you might have a Google at vintage boat and vintage truck gauges. Lots of lower rpm stuff and different looks. Pricing all over the place.

There’s also this long post on the HAMB that’s worth looking at. Back at page 8 Moriarity has some pictures of his displays, many with old Tachs included. He says he’s got 350 of them. Interesting read all the way through.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/save-the-gauges.1187643/

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
55blacktie
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I would look for a tach that's designed to be mounted externally. All of the 55-57 Tbird tachs are dash-mounted. I don't think a 57 Tbird tachometer would look right mounted on your steering column. 
Blind Willie
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (77 reputation)Supercharged (77 reputation)Supercharged (77 reputation)Supercharged (77 reputation)Supercharged (77 reputation)Supercharged (77 reputation)Supercharged (77 reputation)Supercharged (77 reputation)Supercharged (77 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I agree with some of the above posts.   I think there are lots of options, boat versions, and other vintage styles like Moon and Sun with 6,000 rpm limits.  You might be able to find a nice used one.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/cc008053-2351-432b-bcbe-4311.png

Reading This Topic

Site Meter