Profile Picture

Valve Lash - How Often?

Posted By Ted Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 12 hours ago
John is absolutely right in that some of the comments in the fuel pump thread got off track with some valuable information on other subject matter being buried deep within that thread.  The post on fuel pumps switched gears and went into spark plugs and valve lash.  So, I’m copying some of those posts related to valve lash to this new thread and any new comments regarding valve lash can be continued here.

Deyomatic (12/23/2023)
Yes...They sound great...but I'm lazy!  I also don't like having to risk leaky valve covers every few thousand miles.

55blacktie (12/24/2023)
You shouldn't have to adjust the valves every few thousand miles. 

Deyomatic (12/24/2023)
How often are you supposed to do it?  I was thinking every 10,000 miles or so?

Ted (12/25/2023)

Deyomatic (12/24/2023)
How often are you supposed to do it?  I was thinking every 10,000 miles or so?

Probably a bit of overkill but a 10K interval for setting the valve lash would be okay.  That would coincide with the old once a year tune-up interval back when those cars were daily drivers and were also in need a set of spark plugs and points.  Unless the car is a daily driver, then the valve lash adjustment could potentially be put on a two or three year interval rather than a mileage interval.

I check the valve lash at 40K mile intervals on my’55 Customline with its 272 Y.  That coincides with when I change out the spark plugs for new ones.  Electronic ignition has made the old 10K tune-up intervals sort of a moot point and definitely overkill.  The last time that spark plug change interval came up, the valve lash was checked but needed no changes so unless I hear something going on under the valve covers, they will not be checked again until the next spark plug change interval.  The car currently has 335K miles on it while the engine has 223K miles on it since the rebuild and the addition of the E4 Isky camshaft.

This is just the way I do it on my own Y so don’t let this be the final word on the subject.

Deyomatic (12/25/2023)
Well then.  Thanks for that write up Ted.  Looks like I'll be waiting a few more years before checking them again.

2721955meteor (12/29/2023)

55blacktie (12/24/2023)
You shouldn't have to adjust the valves every few thousand miles.

90% need no adjustment required. Cleaned out inside of rocker shafts.  I set valves every two years with modified spill tubes.

And here’s the link to the original thread from which these posts came from.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost165607.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)Supercharged (623 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks Ted!  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter