Profile Picture

'54 Linc 317 ci + Hydramatic ---Vacuum Data

Posted By WYEDelta Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (113 reputation)Supercharged (113 reputation)Supercharged (113 reputation)Supercharged (113 reputation)Supercharged (113 reputation)Supercharged (113 reputation)Supercharged (113 reputation)Supercharged (113 reputation)Supercharged (113 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
In the spirit of trying to improve the Street performance of the old gal I invested in a 6V Tach (positive ground naturally) and Vacuum Gauge. These instruments provide additional insight beyond the timing light and feeler gauges. A new speedometer cable is on its way to complete the cluster (unless 6V O2 sensors exist?). 

I was surprised to learn that the vacuum is 15" at 450 rpm while in neutral. The Lincoln shop manual calls for 18"-21" @450rpm. Anyone have a similar bone-stock Y block achieving at least 18-19" idle vacuum?

My engine also draws 16.5" @ 2100 and 14-15" @2800rpm. Do these numbers sound reasonable? 

I gave the engine a once over in search of a vacuum leak with a tightening wrench, screwdriver and starter fluid but found nothing obvious.   

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/74a405e1-48be-485a-9437-54e2.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/72e736ea-d11d-4f67-a324-19af.jpg

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post '54 Linc 317 ci + Hydramatic ---Vacuum Data By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post See If This Helps -... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post Thanks for posting that article --definitely contains good "rules of... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post Are you sure that your total timing is set correctly? Can you... By Deyomatic ( Last Year )
Forum Post The stumble begins at 3000 rpm and progressively becomes more... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post I’m not familiar with the Lincoln, but Fords initial advance on the... By miker ( Last Year )
Forum Post Plug wires look brand new unlike the discolored porcelain plugs.... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post Here is another TECH ARTICLE that may help - Cranking Vacuum &... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post The vacuum is definitely steady but apparently low @ 15" /450rpm. I... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post You say that the high speed stumble starts at 3000 and gets worse by... By Hoosier Hurricane ( Last Year )
Forum Post Thanks, keep'em coming! By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post I think I'd start with a tune up. Fresh plugs, cap, condenser,... By Deyomatic ( Last Year )
Forum Post WOW, Nice car.....Lou By Lou ( Last Year )
Forum Post Stale ethanol gasoline ... :exclamation: How long did the car sit... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post Fresh 87 octane gas. Figure this 8.0 CR engine doesn't need 89 or 91... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post I will plead ignorance on the Lincoln Y, but 7* initial timing seems... By Joe-JDC ( Last Year )
Forum Post [quote][b]WYEDelta (12/13/2023)[/b][hr] Fresh 87 octane gas. Figure... By Ted ( Last Year )
Forum Post [quote][b]KULTULZ (12/13/2023)[/b][hr] Stale ethanol gasoline ...... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post BEFORE I FORGET ! (and it is becoming common lately) ... The DIST... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post [quote]10% ethanol in the 87 & 89 grades just complicates the... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post I completed changing out all (8) spark plugs last night with new... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post "Is this tube supposed to constantly suck air or should it only draw... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post Thanks for the explanation on how this style choke mechanism works and... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post "I’ve read TED’s article and will probably take the intermediate step... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post "I’ll try accelerating above 3000 rpm when the engine coolant is... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post "You stated previously when first driven, it appeared the TV LINKAGE... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post "Troubleshooting why the curb idle screw has to be completely... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post "You are aware LINC/MERC used a square bore 4V carb mounting pattern... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post I "made" such an adapter for a FYB 9425-A intake a long time ago. I... By Deyomatic ( Last Year )
Forum Post Appreciate the info and videos! on how to properly machining/set-up an... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post I didn’t see any mention of verifying ignition dwell angle in the... By peeeot ( Last Year )
Forum Post LOAD-O-MATIC THEORY - http://m571.com/yblock/loadomatic.htm Back in... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post "Secondary throttle plates that are too far open, or poor... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post Back in the garage tonight after Christmas holidays and finally... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post Compression Test The compression test works by spinning the engine... By KULTULZ ( Last Year )
Forum Post Thanks for sharing the MotorTrend article. It states a 9:1 compression... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post A compression test is performed with the throttle wide open. If the... By charliemccraney ( Last Year )
Forum Post Good catch! I'll stab a long screw driver down the throat of the... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post Disconnect the return springs and wire the throttle open. Sticking a... By miker ( Last Year )
Forum Post PROGRESS! Spent all day on the car. 1. Re-ran the compression... By WYEDelta ( Last Year )
Forum Post Outstanding. Glad the problem finally turned up. Damn parts with no... By miker ( Last Year )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter