Profile Picture

1957 Ford E & F code Ford-O-Matic

Posted By russonator Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Sale Pending 

I’ve decided to switch my ‘57 E-code Club Sedan over to a manual transmission. Is there any interest in my Fordomatic? It is the correct automatic for ‘57 E and F code cars. Comes out of a documented 45K mile car. Shifts as it should, leaks more than it should. Converter included. Will need to be picked up at my home in SE Pennsylvania. Asking $200. Shoot me a PM if interested.
KULTULZ
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
Now this ain't none of my business, but ...

If I had a true E-CODE that came through with an AT, I would hold on to it as if you ever decide to restore it/numbers correct or if you sell it one day the buyer would surely appreciate the AT (correct as by ASSY ID TAG) going with the car.

It should also raise the value/re-sale of the car.

russonator
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)

KULTULZ (12/23/2023)
Now this ain't none of my business, but ...

If I had a true E-CODE that came through with an AT, I would hold on to it as if you ever decide to restore it/numbers correct or if you sell it one day the buyer would surely appreciate the AT (correct as by ASSY ID TAG) going with the car.

It should also raise the value/re-sale of the car.

You are not wrong, EXCEPT:
1) My car has the early '57 data tag format which does not identify transmission type or rear axle ratio;
2) In light of the above, I don't believe many would want to convert back to Ford-O-Matic from a proper '57 BW T85-R11 overdrive setup;  
3) There are a few '57 Ford restorers looking for an E/F Ford-O-Matic because some previous owner has removed one and junked it.

In summary: If I do the job right no one's gonna know the car originally came with AT, and resale value (if influenced at all) should go up.

55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Even if you never intend to use take-off parts, I would hold onto them. If your car ever changes hands, the new owner might want them. I'm keeping my 55 Tbird take-off parts for that reason. 

Lou
Posted 4 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
I would keep the parts as only 3% of drivers today can drive a standard shift car.
PF Arcand
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
According to people on here that know more than I do, if the auto trans is leaking badly, it's likely that the front pump assembly needs a reseal & probably the front bushing replaced also..  Check into it? .. 

Paul
paul2748
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a difference between an E or F code trans vs a C or D code trans.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Perhaps a little off topic but, good question - I'm no expert by any means but most of the 272 and 292 FOM I believe were small case versions. 312 wagons, police and "E" code 1957's were medium case versions. Within the medium case versions, there were differences in line pressure calibration (regulator and other springs) and even the clutch packs could have a different clutch count depending on the application, just to mention a few differences. The metal tag will identify the trans. 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
55blacktie
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I'm not 100% certain, but I think 55-57 Tbirds were equipped with the medium-case Fordomatic. 
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

55blacktie you are absolutely correct. I should have stated all Tbird FOM's are medium case transmissions.  Thanks for noticing my omission.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter