Profile Picture

rocker cover

Posted By darrell Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 15 hours ago
someone on another site was wondering when ford started stamping ford into the rocker covers around 1960 would be my guess does anyone know for sure.
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 13 hours ago
My vote goes with 1959 being the first year the Ford Y had ‘FORD” embossed on the valve covers.  Other comments always welcome.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 42 minutes ago
I know that my 1958 didn’t have it. Black covers with Thunderbird decal. 
KULTULZ
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday

KULTULZ
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

KULTULZ (10/29/2023)

Let me qualify this further. The FINAL ISSUE MPC calls for C2AZ 6582-A for the the 1962 model year only (PASS CAR) (which I a$$-u-me was FORD embossed}.

1960 AND 1961 FYB calls for C0KE 6582-C which did not have FORD embossed. They were plain. It may be that the later PN superseded the earlier PN at some point if you see an earlier example with FORD embossed rocker covers (either retrofit or service replacement).

Without earlier years prints of the MPC and period correct OSI CATALOGS, some of this detail is hard to determine.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/abadae34-5168-4897-9e18-72ba.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2ea0123d-f070-4638-b7ac-14eb.jpg

Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 13 hours ago
Like you, I went to the MPC for some clarification but mine is the 1949-1959 version.  In that catalog, the Y valve covers and corresponding valve cover gaskets are the same for the 1954-1959 Y engines.   The tab style of V/C gasket which is also not listed in my 49-59 catalog so that falls in line with the following.

I do have a couple of 1960 un-molested 292 Y engines in the core building with one being from a car and the other from a pickup.  Both of those have the ‘F O R D’ embossed valve covers.  And both have tabbed valve cover gaskets so I’m thinking that the tabbed V/C gaskets came into being at the same time as the embossed valve covers.  Back in the day, I had a ’61 Fairlane with the 292 and it also had the ‘F O R D’ embossed valve covers.

While I don’t have any unmolested 1959 Y’s floating loose, I’ll go with your earlier thoughts that the 1960 models were the first year for the embossed ‘F O R D’ on the Y valve covers.  Looking at the COKE-6583-C non-embossed valve covers you have pictured, those look to use the tabbed V/C gaskets.  Maybe used with a decal for industrial and marine applications?

Which brings up the question then as to what was the first year the FE had ‘F O R D’ on its valve covers?  1960?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

KULTULZ
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yeah, I am leaning to1960 also (first year of tabbed gaskets). The 49/59 CAR FINAL ISSUE (1964) is not concise as to what actually came on the car. It only gives then current service parts listings. One would need earlier cataloging to actually chase it down. I have access to an earlier version that has revisions to 1960, and it is not detailed enough for anything earlier.

The baldies I showed have an EDSEL PN (C0KE) on them and were used on both 1960 EDSEL and 1960/ MERC  312/292. The MERC FYB embossed cover seems to have been dropped in 1959.

The first year for FE F-O-R-D was 1958 (I am fairly sure). The first engines (332/352) were mechanical tappets and had baldies rocker covers, remember?

It is hard to determine as if a car is actually a dedicated restoration, how many liberties were taken and how much incorrect information?

If you have an unmolested 1960 FE sitting in storage w/ embossed, I am with you.

I am a detail nut. No INTERSTATE BATTERIES, STANT RADIATOR CAPS and/or CHEBBY brake MC's.

THANX! for your participation (and Mr. MUMMERT) and sharing your knowledge and experience with others. I know I have learned a lot.

CORRECTION - 22 NOV 2023

I Posted -

"The baldies I showed have an EDSEL PN (C0KE) on them and were used on both 1960 EDSEL and 1960/ MERC  312/292. The MERC FYB embossed cover seems to have been dropped in 1959".

This was incorrect. The baldies for the 1960-62 MERC 312-292 must have been SERVICE REPLACEMENTS. While perusing an older MERC CHASSIS CATALOG, I came across C1ME 6583-B (1960-62) which has raised MERCURY embossed.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b57d1657-c81b-4f29-b163-1b13.png

I try to not post incorrect info. One needs correct period cataloging and OSI MANUALS to actually try and track certain parts details down.

In other words - I Am CYA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter