Profile Picture

Installing a lift / hoist

Posted By Kingfisher Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 hours ago
I'm installing a 2 post hoist or lift and am wondering about the lift points under the car. I imagine the arms will lift under the chassis but what about balance forward / backward? I reckon the measured centre of the car is at the door pillar, but centre of gravity would be further forward. How much do I allow? How much does it matter?
darrell
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:15:30 AM
try to get it centered as best you can.after that no problem.i have a hoist and as long as its close.it would still work ever if it wasnt close but i try to get it close.
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Obviously you put the lift a bit towards the heaviest end but there is no "guide" that I know of. You can pretty much tell when it starts to lift if its out of balance. Use the attachments on the lift to get the lift points equal on the frame. You probably know this but the most common lift failure is not bolting the posts down securely. They will spread eagle on you and collapse. The anchor bolts must be up to par or even a bit overkill. Blame that on my midwest farm upbringing. Basic setup video here.
https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=568406902&hl=en&sxsrf=AM9HkKlQXnyivmauJWFZDxH3FEeMGqYvAA:1695750277149&q=Where+should+I+position+my+car+on+a+lift%3F&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjgsJaH6siBAxX5rokEHdbTCKwQzmd6BAhFEAY&biw=1280&bih=642&dpr=1.5#kpvalbx=_oRgTZeKnJb-iptQPge2k2Ao_26

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Joe-JDC
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
When I had my lift installed, it came with instruction sheets showing how to center the vehicle, how to place the arms, and how to adjust the lift feet so that the vehicle comes up level.  All that should have been with the unit at installation.  Make sure whatever lift you buy has the capability to lock in place and release the pressure while you work.  I keep a car up on my lift all the time with that feature.  Another thing I found was backing into the stall is more convenient due to placement on the lift.  That will be something your particular space will dictate.  I have a 24x24 addition onto my garage with 12' ceiling for the lift.  If you can have doors on both sides of the shop that is a bonus for air circulation when the AC/Heat is not needed.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Tazx100
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I cant tell you much about the set up of the hoist, but using mine I get the car as far forward so the post will go under the front tires and use a jack stand on the back of the car also that was sage advice to let the pressure off the lift and use the lift blocks to hold the car. If I dont use the rear jack stand the car isnt near as steady.

Kingfisher
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Thanks all. There was no guide with the lift, quite disappointing really, but as always, google, youtube and YBF to the rescue.
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
If you haven't found instructions for your particular lift, contact the manufacturer to see if they are available. 

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter