Profile Picture

Power Steering parts QUESTIONS

Posted By PF Arcand Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Were trying to arrange installing a 58 Ford power steering in my 57 car. We have part of the system but the mechanic  says it needs the Drag Link. Is that different than the existing ? The factory manual doesn't mention that piece. Is it referred to otherwise in factory print?  I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at ?  Also, I'll need a double Pulley, will the Pulley that Mummert makes fit on the front  of my existing setup?...  Any help appreciated

Paul
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The drag link or center link is what ties the steering together. Pitman arm from the box, idler arm other end, tie rods to the steering arms on the spindles. If I said that right. The center link for the ram style power steering also has the valve at the pitman arm, controlling the hydraulic pressure to the ram, hence the power assist. And mounting point for the ram. Different link, not something you bolt on. I think the pitman and idlers might be different too (dropped for clearance), but I’m not sure.

There’s a very similarity discussion on the Ford Barn from last week, where I was taken to task for suggesting a Borgeson power box conversion. (Based on GM parts). I’ve been consigned to eternal damnation for that.

I think you need to find the original parts, I have no idea what the 57-58 interchanges are.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
carl
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

the power steering drag link is different from the manual steering. Send me a e mail address and i will send you a picture of the PS one   Carl 
PF Arcand
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Thanks for your replies.. In the meantime, a veteran body man & former service manager, has suggested that unless the parts are in excellent shape, ??, they may not be worth installing.. He says those old style setups can be a pain  with leaks etc.. They were replaced partly in this case with Borgenson stuff, but it was no bolt in either!. So, I need to ascertain why it was pulled to start with? I'll have to discuss it with my contact person..  Thanks again..

Paul
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Someone here, I think it was DryLakesRacer, found replacement seals he made work in his 56 and solved the leaking problem. I don’t know if the 57-58 would be the same. But they don’t leak that much most of the time, and Lars may be able to do a full rebuild.

The Borgeson on the 56 and earlier fords isn’t a bolt in due to the shaft from the box to the steering wheel. So you’ve got to cut and modify the column. That’s not a problem in Rono’s post because he’s using an aftermarket. They typically have DD shaft ends and the widely available shafts and couplers work fine. Properly installed and supported.

I’ve done several power steering conversions similar to the above. Done right, they work fine. Most were not a big improvement over a good rebuilt ford box and the ram type assist. Some generated more problems than they were worth. Once you start removing and replacing the drag link with non stock parts you’ve really got to watch the effect on bump steer. Ididit and Flaming River make great columns, but there are some off shore copies that are really poor. One friend had one fail when backed out of the garage the first time, total loss of steering. If it’s anything associated with the Hoffman group (like Johnny Law I think) be really careful.

My bird has an aftermarket column and rack. By the time I got the bump steer correct and everything working it was a lot more than the “do it yourself” articles on the net in both time and money. Not that much improvement. I would not do it again.

Since I don’t know the 57-58 interchanges I can’t comment much on what you’re doing. But that aside, my first choice would be factory oem parts if I could find and afford them. If not, I’d be doing the Borgeson unit, because of their reputation. I’d probably order an Ididit or Flaming River column (I think both make them for automatics, don’t know about 3 speed manual). The street rod guys sell lower mounts that should work, and Borgeson or others can supply the shafts , fitting etc to connect everything. With the right column , that might be just a rag joint or equivalent.

Borgeson can probably tell you if the ford pump works the 605 box. Mummert shows brackets for both oem and Saginaw boxes. Heidts’s makes a power steering valve to turn pressure down if needed on the oem pump.

By the time you finish pricing all that, the factory parts might end up as as good and cheaper that the alternatives.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
The shaft on the slave cylinder wears where it travels through the seal. There are some rebuilders out there but I don't have any contacts right now. A friend did this repair on a 56 recently. I'll ask him who they found. If in good shape the power steering works very well. I rebuilt the unit on my 56 Victoria some 10 years ago and it still works perfectly.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
alanfreeman
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (752 reputation)Supercharged (752 reputation)Supercharged (752 reputation)Supercharged (752 reputation)Supercharged (752 reputation)Supercharged (752 reputation)Supercharged (752 reputation)Supercharged (752 reputation)Supercharged (752 reputation)

Last Active: 55 minutes ago
I have stock power steering systems on all 4 of my '54 Fords and Mercurys and they have worked great for over 35 years.  I recently had one of the valves rebuilt by a guy in Texas and he was quick, reasonable and very knowledgeable on these old systems.  I can dig out his name if you are interested.  The valves and rams do drip a little fluid once in awhile but adding some Lucas power steering stop leak usually takes care of that,
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

There an an article on fordbarn.com about resealing a Ford power steering control that might be informative although it is for a 53 Merc
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214890

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

PF Arcand
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Carl: I tried to send  you a Personal Message with my E address, re Power Steer Drag Link photo .Did you get it? Thanks- Paul

Paul
darrell
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 13 hours ago
when you use borgeson or the like you cant use your horn .you need to install a button.some dont like that.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter