Profile Picture

3 speed overdrive quit shifting

Posted By Tazx100 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Something to think about when looking at the wiring diagram.  The kickdown switch is on the floor just behind the accelerator pedal. When the pedal is floored, that switch is operated causing the overdrive to drop out leaving the transmission in 3rd gear until the pedal is released, then allowing the overdrive to re-engage.  There are 2 contacts in that switch. One contact opens the governor circuit causing the relay on the firewall to drop out thus removing power from the solenoid.  The other contact very briefly shorts out the ignition long enough to allow the solenoid and pawl to be pulled out of engagement. The instant that happens, the ignition is then restored.  This happens so fast it's almost unnoticeable.  Do you have a volt meter?

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Tazx100
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)

Yes I have a voltmeter and thankfully a lift. I would rate my self as a decent shadetree mechanic on scrubys, used to race dirt cars back in the day. ANd when it comes to electrical I wont do anything untill I know what I am doing. I think I have figured out the order of operations for the od system.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
1 THe govenor does its job at 28 mph by going to ground.
2 I think this is sent to the kickdown switch which then goes to the points on the firewal.
3 The points send power to the solenoid which shifts into od.
If those operations are correct and I am not hearing the points on the firewall tick at shift time, then my issue is in the govenor or the kickdown switch???
Ive been spending time under the car pondering ,looking at the manual just tryuing to get a very basic understanding of whats happening its a simple system but it all has to work togther like it has for almost 70 years. Thanks for telling me how the kickdown swithch works I appreciate your time.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

You got it all right. If you suspect the governor is at fault, you can easily prove it out. You are right in that the governor simply brings the coil in the relay on the firewall to ground thus completing that circuit energizing the relay.  If you disconnect the one and only single wire leading to the governor and touch it to ground with the ignition on, you should hear and be able to feel the solenoid picking up. You should also be able to hear the relay on the firewall pick up. The first order of business is the relay on the firewall. Nothing can happen until it is energized. I believe you already determined there is power to the relay by reading battery voltage on goth sides of the fuse while the ignition is on, right?

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Tazx100
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)

When the car quit shifting I couldnt hear the clicking on the firewall I am used too.

Dobie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Bypass the relay with a jumper wire from the battery to the relay terminal that goes to the solenoid to see if the solenoid clicks.
Tazx100
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I grounded out the govenor at the back of the trans and I could hear it clicking, I could not hear the relay on the firewall or the solenoid clicking. The trouble shooting guide recommended the following:
Power comes from the fuse through the relay, which is then activated whenever it is grounded.
Power from the relay to the governor does pass through the kick down switch. If there is no relay click when grounding the governor, check for 6 volts at the wire and trace it back to the kick down switch and then back to the relay to find the open circuit. Which wire am I checking for 6 volts? 

Tazx100
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged Im headed that way but at this point I am stuck at the kcikdown switch

DANIEL TINDER
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
FYI: Just as an aside (when you get the OD working again), there are a couple points of interest:
1.  Using the kick down switch eliminates the need to downshift for turns.
2.  The OD relay (on the firewall) often becomes corroded in time, and internal electrical resistance can reduce available juice (especially with lights/radio/heater fan/etc. on) enough to prevent the OD solenoid from engaging/holding (low resistance solid state rebuilds have been available).

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The procedure is to ground the one and only wire that goes to the governor, not the governor wire itself. The governor is nothing more than a single contact that closes when the flyweights inside reach a certain speed, usually at around 25mph.  By separating the connection at the governor and grounding the wire that comes from above, that simulates the governor closing. With the ignition on, the relay on the firewall and the solenoid should then pick up. Yes, the wire leading to the governor does come from the kickdown switch, then from the kickdown switch to the relay coil on the firewall.  Indeed, if that contact in the kickdown switch is open, then that will be your problem.  Referring to that single wire going to the governor, you should show somewhat close to battery voltage with the ignition turned on,  if everything in that circuit is healthy. The governor should not make any noise at all as there is nothing that electrically operates in side. I would say if you heard something click back there it had to be the solenoid. It sounds like you grounded the governor wire and heard the solenoid pick up?  

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Tazx100
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I would say if you heard something click back there it had to be the solenoid. It sounds like you grounded the governor wire and heard the solenoid pick up? Thats right I grounded the wire from the govenor and If the govenor dosent make any sounds in that state it definately was the solenoid. I got a recommendation from a owner of a 4x4 shop that Ive known forever and I called the shop he recommended. Talked to a guy that said he hasnt worked on a 3 sp od car in a long time but says he can prob diagonose it and said he could handle it as long as I could get the parts. I havent talked to Vanpelt yet but they have the od parts listed. After spending quite a bit of time under the car and trying to get the wiring diagrahm mapped out I just havent got there yet. 

I get confused on checking the govenor " The procedure is to ground the one and only wire that goes to the governor, not the governor wire itself ' I cant identify or get in my head the difference between the govenor wire that I grounded and the one and only wire that goes to the govenor. Its tight where the kickdown swith is and I cant make anything out there

Reading This Topic

Site Meter