Profile Picture

Factory McCulloch Supercharged Y Blocks

Posted By Deyomatic Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Can't find this elsewhere...When Ford used the McCulloch VS57 on the 312, did they beef up the internals at all or did they just supercharge an otherwise "off the shelf" 312?  If someone happened into a great deal on a VS57 setup, would they need to beef up pistons, rods, and do headwork?  

Thanks.
darrell
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
they did nothing.just stock blocks.

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
They didn't use VS57 blowers, they used VR57s.  The VR provided a variable ratio between input and output RPM, the VS units were a fixed ratio.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

As delivered, they didn't make much boost. The cylinder heads, however, did have larger (82cc) combustion chambers than those used on C, D, and E-code engines. 
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 49 minutes ago
The main difference as I know it was the 82 cc heads. Lower compression to work with the boost. 

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

If your question is “can I put a VS57 on a stock motor” I’ve done that. Works within limits. I can provide more info if you’re interested.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
NoShortcuts
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Deyomatic.  I don't have Hoosier Hurricane or Miker's hands-on experience with the F code set-ups, but I'll attempt to add some info to what has been shared.  The '57 312 supercharged engines in both the 'Bird and the passenger car applications did include some changes to their being put-together as an assembly. 

As mentioned, the cylinder heads did have the same size intake and exhaust valves as the C, D, and E code engines, but different, larger combustion chambers to lower the static compression ratio.  Additionally:
- the E code and F code cylinder heads used different valve springs that had an inner damper spring, and the valve spring retainers were a one piece design as compared to what was used on C and D code engines.
- the SC ignition distributors utilized dual points, I think both centrifugal advance springs were different, the distributor cam was different, and a different vacuum advance chamber was utilized than what was used on the C, D, and E code engines.
- as I recall, the SC fuel pump was different because of the fuel system being pressurized by the blower (pump had different part number with different internal porting)
- the crankshaft vibration damper was different for the 'Bird than for the passenger car, but for both the 'Bird and the passenger car, the crankshaft vibration damper was also different for the supercharger depending upon whether the transmission was a manual transmission (B-W T-85 3 speed or 3 speed with R-11 overdrive) OR a FordoMatic.  My recollection is that the standard transmission vehicles used two belts to drive the supercharger and the Fordomatic transmission vehicles used only one drive belt. 
- the FordoMatic transmissions used with the supercharger carried a different part number than what was used behind the C and D code engines.  I'm rusty on whether the ID was different than what was used behind the E code engines.  I think the principal difference was in the transmission valve body, but I'm not sure.
- the fuel filter for the supercharged 'Bird was different than for the passenger car.  The 'Bird used a fuel return line coming-off the fuel filter assembly to route the gas back to the gas tank to keep the fuel moving in the engine compartment.  The first supercharged 'Birds (15?) experienced vapor lock problems due to elevated under hood temperatures common to the 'Bird engine compartment.

Hope this helps!  Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)

Very interesting.  Thanks for all the replies.  I (obviously) couldn't remember if it was the VR or VS57.  No plans for one, just curious.  

Thanks.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter