Profile Picture

Anyone running these Sanderson headers on a 1955-57 Ford car?

Posted By Daniel Jessup Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!

Anyone running these Sanderson headers on a 1955-57 Ford car?

Author
Question Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 hours ago
Just ran across this set of Sanderson headers from Summit - anyone running these in a car? 

FORD Sanderson Headers FTB1-SEC Sanderson Headers | Summit Racing

Curious to know - the picture only shows the passenger side which is an easy fit in a full size passenger car here in the States. It's the driver's side that always has the clearance issues. I did go to the Sanderson website to find out more, but their website does not have the part number listed. I do have an email into them as well.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
The Sanderson headers are 55-57 Tbird-specific. I have a 55 Tbird for which I bought the Sanderson headers. Any alterations to the steering, etc. could cause fitment issues. As far as fitment on my Tbird is concerned, the only issue I had when test-fitting the headers was with the engine oil dipstick. The dipstick tube has to be removed before the driver-side header is installed. Replace the tube after installing the header. 

I recommend contacting Sanderson to ask if the headers will fit full-size Fords. 
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Here’s the link to the Sanderson headers on their website.  The headers are listed for use on the 1955-1957 Thunderbirds.  I was going to post the picture of the Sanderson headers but the picture posting capability of the site is still down.  Currently waiting for that to be fixed.

FTB1 - Sanderson Headers 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Daniel Jessup
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Thanks fellas - to add to the confusion here I have taken a screenshot of Summit's listen for Sanderson Y Block headers. Welp - cannot insert a photo just yet. Here is a link that shows TWO different types of Sanderson TB Y Block headers. Ford Parts and Accessories | Summit Racing

The FTB1-P I have owned/used a set of those and they are indeed Thunderbird specific. This is a set we all know about with the collector very much near the location of a passenger car motor mount. I just swapped a set with Charlie Brown up in New York. These only worked on my run stand.

However, the other set shown, the SEC variation... when I contacted Sanderson they said they only offer one set of Thunderbird (TB) headers for the Y Block, the (P) set. The tech said that he had never heard of the SEC version. The SEC set has the collector exit much further back - maybe in the stock location. I wonder if the SEC set would work in a 55-57 passenger car? If Sanderson says they do not sell that set, but Summit is planning on having them ready by July 10 who knows? To finish this off, if the SEC set is going to be offered by Sanderson, and if indeed the collector is in the stock location, would it not be too much of a variance for them to produce a driver's side for the passenger car as well? I guess I need to find out how much the original cast iron exhaust manifolds from Thunderbird to passenger car differ.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

Carefree Charlie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I have used these headers on my 1955 TBird w Flaming River rack/pinion steering. A bit tricky to get the steering routed but it works just fine.
I also have a 1956 Customline, also with rack/pinion steering and am using REX High Performance 4 tube headers. http://www.rexhp.com/ They are made for standard steering and I did have to make a small dent in one tube to clear the steering shaft with the rack/pinion. I tried a set of 4 tube headers from another manufacturer but they blocked access to number 8 spark plug. That is not the case with the REX HP 4 tube headers.
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 47 minutes ago
DJ, Summit's Sanderson photos are misleading. The only difference is that the cheaper set is painted black; the more expensive set, which I have, is ceramic-coated. 
Daniel Jessup
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks fellas

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

Reading This Topic

Site Meter