Profile Picture

Engineered Cooling Products

Posted By customline3859 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Does anyone have any experience with this company? They have a radiator available for a 55-57 tbird. I spoke to a gentleman on the phone and I believe the dimensions are the same for my customline. I'm looking to be able to idle the vehicle in traffic. I just got back from the power tour and I found that overheating was an issue for many people that did not have a newer drivetrain. Thanks in advance.
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Concours B5A-8005 is an aluminum radiator for full-size 55-56 Fords; it's $379. They also have copper & brass radiators for earlier models. What year is your Customline? The part numbers are not the same for Tbird and full-size. 
customline3859
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)Supercharged (214 reputation)

Mine is a 1955. I can't seem to get my screenshot to load, but the one I'm looking at has two electric fans on it as well.
charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Have you tried a smaller diameter water pump pulley?  The factory pulley is too large to work well for modern traffic.

Lawrenceville, GA
customline3859
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I've not heard of a different pulley size. What pulley size should I be looking for?
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
I thought this was a more common problem for 55-57 Tbirds, what with the water pump spacer, less air flow through the grill, and smaller engine compartment. You might want to start with the cheapest part, like a 160-degree wide-mouth thermostat, 6-blade fan, etc. Make sure that the existing components are up-to-snuff before you start replacing parts. 

The last time I checked, Amazon had the best price for the 18-inch, 6-blade Derale/Tapco 8600-B mechanical fan for 55-60 Fords. The price included free shipping. 
charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
I think your '55 will have pulleys for a 1/2" belt and if you want to retain that, you will probably have to have a custom pulley made.

If it has newer 3/8" pulleys, there are lots of options, nothing that is a direct bolt in replacement but the bolt pattern and pilot diameter is very common.  You would have to find one that can be shimmed to align with the other pulleys or as above, have one made.  You probably want something 6" diameter or smaller.  The stock pulley is something like 7 1/4, if I remember right.

To get an idea if a smaller pulley will help, you can observe coolant flow in the radiator when up to temp.  You need to be careful that you don't burn yourself while doing this.  Use common sense.  If it doesn't look like much is going on, try elevating idle speed slightly.  Alternatively, you can try elevating idle speed when it is getting hot, to see if temps start to fall or stabilize.  If an elevated idle speed helps the situation, what is happening is the pump and fan are turning faster.  A smaller pulley does the same thing but allows it to keep the correct idle speed.  This is also under the assumption that there are no other problems with the cooling system.

Lawrenceville, GA
GREENBIRD56
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
The Ford solution for the later engine - 289 - was to use a 6.0 pulley, which works perfect on a Y-block. It allows the engine to spin the water pump and fan a bit quicker while at low idle in gear (auto trans). I wanted a foxy aluminum pulley for my outfit so I bought a two groove 289 pulley from CVF racing.The p/n was SBFS2WP and the front-most groove was a good match to the T-bird's front dress. I had the rear groove machined off. I think they still make the part - and they may give you the centerline to mount face dimension on their site - or call them.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
2721955meteor
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
GREENBIRD56 (6/30/2023)
The Ford solution for the later engine - 289 - was to use a 6.0 pulley, which works perfect on a Y-block. It allows the engine to spin the water pump and fan a bit quicker while at low idle in gear (auto trans). I wanted a foxy aluminum pulley for my outfit so I bought a two groove 289 pulley from CVF racing.The p/n was SBFS2WP and the front-most groove was a good match to the T-bird's front dress. I had the rear groove machined off. I think they still make the part - and they may give you the centerline to mount face dimension on their site - or call them.

get a cheap temp gun  check top of rad with engine hot and running, then check the bottem.if difference is lets than15 degrees. your rad is plugged internally. this causes 90% of over heating. speeding up the water flow will just create more issues.
restored 2 55birds over the years, for my own use,1st over heating in summer, had rad cleaned{sonic} wast of time. purchased new alum. rad  end of problem. second 1 put a 312 in, with bird front cover and pump. new rad. never got over190 temp, with gauge sender behind them <new hole with pipe tap for sender. today own a 49 merchant pickup,292 power.new alums rad anti freeze all year,elect fan  front elect fan rear  set for 200dg sender. it never runs. will remove it as not required. save all the hardship of faster water pumps etc.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter