Profile Picture

Stock 54 Fuel Pump

Posted By paul2748 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I am looking for the round screen mesh filter that sits on the top of a 54 Ford/Merc fuel pump right under the glass dome.Anyone have one ?  Or a 54 fuel pump for parts with this piece.?

Any one with a stock 54 - can you take a pic of this piece  on your pump

Thanks for any help

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c37f0ee-7025-4d41-9de5-196.jpeghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/75c3aaff-02b1-4317-81b0-167.jpeghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2a765ea3-e4c5-4b4d-89fb-cea.jpeg

Should be able to purchase the screen from McMaster Carr

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Paul, I have a fuel pump that still has the screen, but it is a brass screen and has turned green.  If you don't find one, let me know and I'll soak this one in vinegar and see if it will clean up.  I think it is a '55  pump, but the screen should be the same.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

John - thanks.  But the 55 pump is a whole different pump than a 54 ( a one year only pump) .  The screen I am looking for is a flat tepee like metal mesh that snaps on the top of the pump under the glass dome.

Hoosier Hurricane (6/8/2023)
Paul, I have a fuel pump that still has the screen, but it is a brass screen and has turned green.  If you don't find one, let me know and I'll soak this one in vinegar and see if it will clean up.  I think it is a '55  pump, but the screen should be the same.

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Dry Lakes - is the pic's from a 54 pump?  The one I'm looking for is a flat tepee like mesh screen that fits on the very top of a 54 pump (a one year only design) and is the only filter I know of (haven't pulled the pump apart).

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Removed

DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Paul, I don’t know. The diaphragm is a lot smaller than the one on my 56; but looks the same and did not have a vacuum assist section. It’s in a box with no numbers so I was just guessing it might be a 239-255.

paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks to those who responded.  I got the information I was looking for.

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

darrell
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

a fellow wanted me to have a look at his 56 half ton 272 which had a broken piston.when i got it out it was a ebu 239.i couldnt believe anyone would put that in a newer truck.it had the 56 timing cover so was using the new fuel and water pump.i wasnt sure everthing would line up with this block but it had been on for years.its an easy way to fix the problem of getting a fuel or water pump for these engines.
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week
darrell (6/11/2023)
A fellow wanted me to have a look at his '56 half ton 272 which had a broken piston. When I got it out it was a EBU 239. I couldn't believe anyone would put that in a newer truck. It had the '56 timing cover so was using the new fuel and water pump. I wasn't sure everything would line up with this block but it had been on for years. It's an easy way to fix the problem of getting a fuel or water pump for these engines.

Keep in mind that the U.S. 239 Y engine was still available in the 1955 trucks as the standard or base V8 engine with the 256 engines being optional.  The 272 did not make its appearance in the trucks until the 1956 model and the 292 became available in the trucks starting with the 1959 models.  The ’55 Y engines across all model lines were upgraded to the small journal camshafts, hex drive oil pumps and distributors, revised fuel pumps, and the larger diameter water pumps.

With all that being said, it was not unusual for non-year variants of the Y to be installed in place of the original engines back when these vehicles were seeing heavy use.  Most of the time, the later model 292 or even a 312 found its way in place of the smaller engines but going backwards was not unheard of as there was a large number of those engines floating around.  Those early engines were quite robust and held up well as they still show up for a rebuild even now.  I’ve even come across a 256 truck engine in a ’56 Thunderbird which shows you the extent that those engines found homes in the unlikeliest of places.  On the other end of the scale was a 292 that came into the shop out of a 1954 Ford that had the 1954 239 timing cover, water pump, fuel pump, distributor, and oil pump which shows you the extent someone went to make the engine look like a 239 or keep as much of the engine externals 1954 in nature.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter