Profile Picture

Suspect brake canister

Posted By harleyjohn45 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm still around and still working on my old cars.  My 56 Fairlane has drum brakes, I had them rebuilt,  It is a vacuum assist system.  When I first start the car the brakes are horrible, but after a couple of miles the car will stop on a dime.  I suspect the vacuum cannister is bad or out of adjustment.  Can I adjust the cannister?  any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
John
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 2:58:30 AM
The vacuum check valves in the system would be at the top of my list.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

panel driver
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:42:53 AM
I have had a vehicle in the past that the supply line connection at the intake was partially clogged.
Make sure you have good supply of vacuum to the booster.  

Located in Harford County Maryland 
harleyjohn45
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

Thanks, I will check out both suggestions.
harleyjohn45
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It was the cannister, the brakes are working great now. 
Thanks

Reading This Topic

Site Meter