Profile Picture

Getting into locked glovebox

Posted By B-rad Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
My 54 Lincoln came with no keys and the glovebox is locked. I did take the door lock into a locksmith and got keys made for doors and ignition. How do I get into the glovebox?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
The trunk and the glove box share the same key.  If you have the original trunk key, you are good.  If not, then you’ll need to get to the glove box lock mechanism by coming in behind the dash and glove box and ‘tripping’ the latch.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Thx Ted, I'll try that. No keys came with the car

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Another option is to remove the trunk lock and have a key made for it.  That key then should work for the glove box.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I had the same/similar problem with the glove box on my 55 Tbird. The trunk key fit the lock, but I still couldn't open the box. Like Ted suggested, I went through the back of the dash to get it open. I couldn't wait to discover what "treasures" I might find inside, being that the car had been in the family for 50 years. What did I find? Registration slips from the early 80s. I ended up removing the pins from the lock. I can now open and lock the glove box, but just about any key will now work. Security? If someone is bent on breaking into my car to remove the contents, the glove box lock will be the least of my concerns. 
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Trunk lock also missing. I felt around the back of the glovebox and it seems that I'm gonna have to put a hole thru the cardboard to gain access to the lock. Still it'll be difficult to get the latch tripped. No way to see anything and I have no idea how the latch works

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 24 minutes ago
If you don't want to mess anything up, have a lock smith open it.  Or buy a lock picking kit and try it yourself.

Lawrenceville, GA
alanfreeman
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Yes, you are going to have to destroy the cardboard glove box liner to get to the lock mechanism as it is contained within the cardboard liner.  You can then unscrew the lock assembly from the glove box lid.  The cardboard liners are readily available for Fords and Mercurys but I don't know if Lincolns used the same liner.  
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I would NOT destroy the cardboard box until you have the correct replacement in hand. Although we're comparing apples and oranges,here are the outside dimensions(measuring from the back) of the box for my 55 Tbird: 8 1/16" Depth*;4 1/16" H; 8 5/8" W.

* The cardboard box has a triangular recess/indentation at the back that reduces the inside volume of the box. 

Finding a replacement box for your 54 Lincoln probably will be much more difficult than finding a replacement for Ford/Tbird. 

Your best bet might very well be acquiring the services of a locksmith, but ask if they will charge you if they can't open the lock without damaging it. They are pretty simple locks, so a competent locksmith should have no problem; it's not like cracking a safe. 
Dobie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
FYI:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195708662738

Reading This Topic

Site Meter