Profile Picture

312 coolant leak from right rear of engine

Posted By russonator Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 days ago
I have coolant dripping from the bell housing when the engine is running. So far I've been unable to trace the source of the leak. Hoses are not leaking. An area of the block below the temp sender is damp with coolant, but the sending unit itself is not leaking. Any thoughts on most likely culprit? Engine is a dual quad 312. Thanks.
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
Two quick things come to mind.

First, Fel-Pro Permatorque head gaskets (the blue ones) are notorious for leaking at the lower edge of the heads on the Ford Y.  Look for some kind of water or coolant trails on the block below the heads for this one.

Second would be the threads for the four intake manifold studs in the heads.  There have been instances where just one of those holes can be open to the water jacket which will then leak if sealer is not applied to the threads on the studs before installing them.  If one of those studs is leaking, the coolant typically makes its way to the back of the block along the valley cover before making its way down.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Another source could be the heater control valve.  Usually if these leak the coolant flows to the rear via the valley cover

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

312YBlock
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Here’s another one, this happened to me, check the bottom of the thermostat housing. Mine was leaking and running own the edge of the valley pan dripping off the back of the engine.

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
russonator
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Ted (5/10/2023)
Two quick things come to mind.

First, Fel-Pro Permatorque head gaskets (the blue ones) are notorious for leaking at the lower edge of the heads on the Ford Y.  Look for some kind of water or coolant trails on the block below the heads for this one.

Second would be the threads for the four intake manifold studs in the heads.  There have been instances where just one of those holes can be open to the water jacket which will then leak if sealer is not applied to the threads on the studs before installing them.  If one of those studs is leaking, the coolant typically makes its way to the back of the block along the valley cover before making its way down.

It now appears Ted's second diagnosis is the correct one. I can see coolant in the right ledge of the valley cover from the front stud on back to the accelerator linkage. Presumably the plan now is to remove the intake manifold and reinstall the studs. Is there a particular sealant  recommended for this application? I was thinking Permatex hi-temp thread sealer. Also, is anything recommended on the intake manifold gaskets? Some have said white lithium grease. Many thanks to this group for pointing me in the right direction.

Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
The intake manifold does not need to be removed from the engine to reseal the threads on the intake studs.  Removing the nut and the turtle shell will allow a pair of nuts to be installed on the offending stud and with the two nuts tightened against each other, the stud can be removed with a wrench. I typically use some Ultra-Black RTV on those threads but Permatex #2 should also suffice.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

oldcarmark
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I had a similar Leak when I started it after sitting all Winter. Dripped at back of Motor down the Bellhousing. Turned out to be the Intake Gasket at the Front crossover was leaking underneath and running down the edge of Valley Pan to back of Engine and down the Bellhousing.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter