Profile Picture

Do I need a relay on an electric fan?

Posted By Tazx100 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Hi folks I am installing a 6 volt electric fan on a 55 fairlane, its going to be using a toggle switch to turn it on and off and I was wondering if I need a relay to handle the start up amps?

blocky
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Months Ago
i would
Daniel Jessup
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
I would highly suggest a relay for an electric fan - most often, electric fans are sold with wiring kits that include a relay and thermostatic switch.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

RB
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Relay is best, but if you get a toggle that will handle 30 amps you should be OK
FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Are you still running a 6 volt system and generator? If so, a generator will likely struggle to supply power for an electric fan, especially on 6 volts at low rpm's when you may need it the most. 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Ford Dearborn raises a good point. Having used several electric fans, some of which wouldn’t cool an engine, some of which were just auxiliaries or for A/C condensers, they vary a lot. What are you doing that leads you to need one? More info might just save a trip down the wrong rabbit hole.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Tazx100
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)Supercharged (213 reputation)

The 272 dosent run hot going down the road but it does creep when you let it idle, I am not replacing the fan just using the electric fan sparingly. ANnd its a 6 volt generator.

DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Tazx100.. this problem has been discussed many times here or on other forums. The fix is a smaller water pump pulley off a 67 Mustang 289-302. Your water pump is not turning enough at idle. They have 1 or 2 belt pulleys. Summit/Jegs/Speedway sell them along with many suppliers by using google; mine measures 5-7/8” and they also sell 6-1/8” and I would buy a spacer kit also to help align the pulley. If you still have the 3 blade fan a 4-5-or 6 would also help. A 1/2 “ shorter fan belt may also be needed.   

I’ll post the pulley # here when I look it up. Don’t worry about cavitation if your not planning on diving the interstates continuously at 80-90 mph. If you google and find a Mr. Gasket or Trans-Dapt  # from some supplier check the number on Amazon also. A Trans-Dapt 8300 is the 6-1/8” 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Tazx100 - What DLR posted has solved the exact issue you are having by many folks on this forum. A 6 volt generator puts out very little power and often times none at idle. That means more than likely the electric fan will be driven by the battery at idling rpm's when you need it most and that would create a partially charged battery. I would  try to solve this by one or some combination of the items posted above. 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Tazx100
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I saw those posts and bought a mr. gasket 8826 6 in pulley and the space kit, however my car has 1/2 in wide belt and the 8826 is for a 3/8 belt. If you folks have the numbers for a pulley for a 1/2 wide belt that would be GREAT. I have even thought about putting the 8826 pulley on and and using a 3/8 belt, the engine dosent get over 2300 rpm but I hate to try that and the belt swarms and who knows what it could do. So i saw this 6 volt fan and thought Id check it out, I agree the ol generator isnt putting any voltage out at idle and the battery isnt that big and batteries dont like getting behind.   

Reading This Topic

Site Meter