Profile Picture

Quick question abouty Y blocks application

Posted By valencia Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Months Ago
Will a Y block, 272 cu inch, fit into an Edsel?  I thought I had seen or read about Edsels having Y blocks but not sure.
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The  292” yblocks were used in the lower models for sure. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
darrell
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
they were used in 59.
slumlord444
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 35 minutes ago
292 was factory option. 272 is direct replacement for 292. 
darrell
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

just to clear things up they came in 59. you could put them in 58 ranger and pacer models that came with the 361.the top 58 models that had the 410 engine had no mounts on the crossmember.
valencia
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)

So, there was or is nothing that allows the Y block 272/292 to replace the 410, such as crossmember with mounts?
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If I read you right it sounds like the original engine in your Edsel was a 410. If it’s a Ranger or Pacer which chassis was shared with the 58 Ford you may need mounts but not a crossmember  If it’s a Corsair or Citation you probably need to add mounts. I’m not sure but the 2 top models had the 410 and 361 and you may only need mounts coming off the frame to the side mount area and not a crossmember depending on how the stock frame is braced. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
darrell
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

you have to weld the mounts to the crossmember.

valencia
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

I am thinking of buying a 1958 Citation, yes, it does have the 410 in it.  I have a 1955 Fairlane that has a 272 Y block in it--factory original.  so, I do know a little bit about Y blocks and would like to get a Y block in the Citation if posible.  Thank you to everybody for giving me the info and responding to my questions.
PF Arcand
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Is the 410 in good condition?.  If so the 272 will be rather small for a car that big & heavy.. While this site is here to support Y-Blocks, some situations may not match up well.. Just something to consider?.  

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter