Profile Picture

Starter Questions...

Posted By Deyomatic Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 hours ago
1.  How important is this "starter seal?"  There wasn't one behind the old starter so I ordered a new one but now find out it's back-ordered.  If it IS important...can I just goop on some Form A Gasket or RTV around the connection?
2.  Turned out the housing on my old starter where there is some kind of bushing or retainer on the shaft in front of the gear has a crack around it and I didn't think that the person that would rebuild it would be able to use it again or that I'd trust it...not to mention that I just didn't get the chance all week to even get over there...I went with one of the Powermaster mini-torque starters for a few reasons.  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d6ffda12-a2c3-446b-92b4-a56b.jpg
How do I wire it up and KEEP the Ford Solenoid on the firewall?
DANIEL TINDER
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
A new seal almost makes installing the starter a two-man job.  Unless you drive a lot in bad weather or on gravel/dirt roads (or have 3 hands😁), you may not want to bother with it (I suspect dealership mechanics routinely didn’t). 

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Since that is not an original Y starter, it is possible that the original seal will not fit anyway.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I don't use the seal.  Been out in bad weather and no problems.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)Supercharged (639 reputation)

I got the starter today and stuck it in...It's in a Model A with no hood sides so it was likely the easiest Y block starter replacement in history.  

There is probably a 1/16" or so gap between bolt holes that junk could get in there...especially with an open hood.  There's a seal on the way but I think I may try it out and make sure it works, then run a bead of black RTV over the gap (like caulk) just to be safe.  It's cruising season, after all.  

2721955meteor
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
the gasket is more to making the starter quiet, with no gasket they sound like they will fail. not the case. never had a issue installing starter, do not engage the gear makes job easier
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
You need to show us a photo!

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I ended up doing exactly what I suggested...used some Form A Gasket as if it was caulk and it's all set...

Of course, I had ordered a couple of those Starter Seals but never got a confirmation that they were in...so I ordered another one just to get it in my hands before I just "caulked" the gap...

Long story short- now I have 3 of them...so if anyone needs a starter seal, hit me up!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter