Profile Picture

Shortening intermediate shaft

Posted By B-rad Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
After swapping out the distributor, oil pump, distributor gear and shaft, I find the intermediate shaft is about 1/2" too long. Is it advisable to shorten the shaft? If so, too or bottom better and how?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I’d leave the more pointed end alone.( Distributor end) I would use a pedestal or bench grinder. Don’t take much off and continue to test fit. I’m not familiar with the Lincoln if that’s what you’re working on.
I check my Ford by removing the oil pump cover, sliding off the idler gear, and working the length with the driven gear. My intermediate shaft doesn’t have the sliding washer on it so everything can be done thru the oil pump. You need some room for expansion.
It’s all easier with the engine on a stand. Good luck.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Yeah. I have the distributor in and locked down, flipped the engine over and inserted the shaft. When putting the pump on, it won't go down to the block. Little by little sounds good to me. Was concerned about heating it up and weakening the shaft.
What's supposed to happen with the sliding washer on the shaft?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Make surr the sliding washer is in the correct position and not preventing the shaft to go up enough

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

What is the correct position?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
The LYB oil shaft should be in the neighborhood of 9.167” overall length.  The retaining washer if still on the shaft should be at the lower end of the shaft and not at the top.  Gut feel says the shaft is not going into the lower end of the distributor.

Did you try the oil pump intermediate shaft in the distributor before putting the distributor in the block?  There’s a good chance that the hex hole in the distributor was also damaged when the bottom of the shaft was damaged when changing out the distributor gears.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I did put the shaft into the bottom of the distributor shaft, i had to clean it up a bit but it goes in. After I slid the oil shaft up into the distributor, I slowly turned the engine over and the oil shaft turned. I figured that meant the two were seated together. I thought I read somewhere that the shaft would be too long when making this swap

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

A little off topic, just want the info...
Which direction does the crank turn when the engine runs? And the distributor? Putting the plug wires on soon and making sure the wires go on ccw.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Dobie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Viewed from the front of the engine the crank rotates to the right. The 'strib rotates the opposite direction, CCW.
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Not sure what I did this time but the shaft went in far enough. Got the oil pump installed. Glad I took my time and didn't rush to cut the shaft. Not like me, usually I rush things.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter