Profile Picture

So what's this screw thing?

Posted By B-rad Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Been trying to get my distributor put in and it's been a struggle. I thought I finally got it in but now see a set screw looking thing up against the distributor gear. It's facing the lifter on the eighth cylinder I think. What is it and why is it interfering with the distributor gear? Can I just screw it in further or is it supposed to be there? I tried gently turning the engine around a bit but it is not moving.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
If you remove the set screw, then fully seat the distributor, will there be enough space to reinsert the set screw without it interfering with the distributor? Does the 54 Lincoln engine otherwise have an external distributor hold-down clamp? If the set screw takes the place of a hold-down clamp, like the hold-down clamp, it doesn't go in/on until the distributor is fully seated.
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

It does have a clamp thing on the top of the block.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 43 minutes ago
Removed. Not realizing what the the question referred to. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
RB
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Looks to me like that is a plug on the end of the lifter oil gallery   Just screw it in further
FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
I agree that is looks like an oil galley plug that should be a flush or close to the surface type plug. They are available in various thicknesses. The shop probably didn't realize a distributor gear needed to clear that plug. I did look at a basic picture of the oiling system of a Lincoln Y-block and it does look like there is an oil galley front to back at each lifter bank.?

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks y'all. I didn't know if there was a specific amount of tightening that plug needed to be and didn't want to mess it up

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
mjs
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Months Ago
Ah that dreaded plug.  I ran into the same issue with my 368.  I always thought it was a Y-Block issue but it must be unique to the LYB'S.  That plug goes into the oil galley.  When I had the motor for my Convertible rebuilt the mechanic replaced it with a pipe plug.  I snapped two drive gears before I discovered the issue.  That plug uses an Allen wrench to tighten it up.  On the back of the block there will be a small soft plug that lines up with it.  Pull the plug, screw it in a little further, and replace the plug.  In my case I already had the motor and transmission in the car.  I had to remove both and unbolt the tranny to get to  it.  I went to Ace hardware and they had what I needed.  I even ground down the head to give myself more clearance.  When I called my mechanic he knew exactly what plug I was talking about.  He was wondering why it had such an odd plug.  Fortunately I have a local parts shop who had the gears in stock..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d5b145a-1c57-4c0d-8bd1-fba5.jpg
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
"For want of a nail..."

B-rad, aren't you glad you know now? 
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It's good to know it's an Allen wrench head. I didn't really want to remove that plug cuz I didn't want to damage it and not sure how to reseal it. It has some gray goop sealing it.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter