Profile Picture

Adjusters for Valve Lash

Posted By Deyomatic Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I got around to "learning" how to set my valve lash today...boy, do I appreciate hydraulic lifters...

Anyway- the video that I watched was one of Tim McMaster's methods.  He had adjusters that he was just able to turn with a socket.  Mine are the style that requires a box end wrench and a screwdriver...Can I just swap in the adjusters that HE was using into my setup?  Locking that nut down got annoying on a few of them.  

Thanks.  
charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
The lock nut adjuster is the superior adjuster.  It does take some practice to get a feel for tightening them.

The other type is an interference fit adjuster, which wears out eventually and no longer holds the adjustment.  I don't think you can go to interference fit from lock nut.

Lawrenceville, GA
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Not to discourage you but 50’s cars/engines needed maintenance constantly. Adjusting valve lash is easier if you get a push button starter/jumper you can easily attach to the starter solenoid on the inner fender. They work with the key off so the car won’t start. You can set the gap on each cylinder one at a time or on opposite valves with one is fully open. Once done I run the engine with the rocker cover off with a piece of cardboard in the trough to make sure the oil is draining on the over flows. Good luck. I have the lock nuts on 3 different vintage engines and they hold the correct setting very close. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

You can substitute the interference adjusters for the nut type - I did on on two rockers.  However, I found that getting the .019 clearance was almost to the end of the adjustment  so you have to be careful you can get all the adjustment you want/need.

The rocker themselves are a little thicker in the bolt area with the nut type that with the interference type.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Deyomatic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)Supercharged (637 reputation)

Alright, then...I guess I'll just deal with them. 

I grabbed one of those push-button starters and I am going to pick up a stubby 5/8 wrench that will make it easier.  

How often should I be checking them?
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I do it every oil change which is once a year around 1000-1200 miles. Our Y is a weekend cruiser. I rarely find any off in 11 years. I have had the heads off once for cleaning and valve guide seals. I just lapped them and none leaked. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Brent
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)Supercharged (398 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I found this setup to make it easiest for me. AutoZone had a full set of pass through sockets for a reasonable price.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ad49bf83-f5d2-42ba-82eb-9156.jpg

.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5ee2950b-da9f-4796-ad18-e428.png
2721955meteor
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Brent (4/4/2023)
I found this setup to make it easiest for me. AutoZone had a full set of pass through sockets for a reasonable price.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ad49bf83-f5d2-42ba-82eb-9156.jpg

312YBlock
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I set mine cold with the engine off. Just set them .002 looser to allow for normal operating temperature expansion. The lock nuts are more secure. If you don’t race the adjustment should last for quite awhile.

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY

Reading This Topic

Site Meter