Profile Picture

generator output

Posted By geo56 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 days ago
Put in new brushes !!!
geo56
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I found the problem to be the end of the armature wire where it bolted to the rear of the generator. It was hanging on by a thread and hidden in the rubber insulation of the connector. I would advise anyone who is ignorant on electricity and wiring to buy a cheap multimeter and view a tutorial on line for detecting breaks in wires. You are never too old to learn. Thanks to all who helped.  
geo56
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

I just tried another generator and got the same results. Gen light goes out at idle and glows when I rev the engine. Voltage regulator still makes a popping noise when I rev the engine. At idle I checked battery voltage and got 13.75 volts. Checked from field to ground at regulator and got about 13.65.  I now suspect the wiring harness from gen to regulator.
Robs36Ford
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
According to my Chilton book it recommends to disconnect the field lead at the generator. This is the smaller of the two wires.

If this causes the generator to drop to a very low voltage output then the regulator is at fault or the field wire is grounded somewhere.
If the voltage remains high there is a ground in the field circuit inside the generator and the field coil may need to be inspected/replaced.

1936 Ford 3W Coupe : 56 T-Bird 312, 47 Packard 3 speed, 40 juice brakes.
1968 Merc Cyclone FB GT 390, Getting a better front clip!
1977 Ford F-250 Supercab RWD Explorer Long box.
1976 Chev Camaro RS LT
Future rebuild : 1949 Ford F-1

darrell
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
what i meant to say the regulator  can allow the gen to put out to much voltage
darrell
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
a gen can put out to much voltage and boil your batt dry.
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
many Generator engines will run with the battery disconnected. 
As stated by Cliff it’s probably worn out or short brushes. Changing them is not hard and for sure everything will need a good cleaning. Commutators can be cleaned with sand paper and high mica with the end of a saw blade cut off. 
There are probably You Tube videos on doing it if never have done one. I started doing them as a teenager. 
May be the right time to upgrade to an alternator if you’re not worried about originality. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Cliff
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Worn brushes

geo56
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I recently noticed an electrical problem on my 56 Victoria. At idle, the gen light would glow faintly if at all. However, apon acceleration and cruising at higher rpm's the gen light glows brightly and stays bright consistently until I return to an idle. I replaced the voltage regulator and found no change. I did notice that the new regulator makes a popping sound each time I rev the engine. I checked voltage at the battery at idle and got 16 volts. I know that is too high. I checked for a bad ground by running a jumper wire from the regulator ground to the negative battery terminal and found no change. Is it possible for a generator to put out too much voltage?  By the way, while the car was at idle, I disconnected the negative battery terminal completely and the motor continued to run..

Reading This Topic

Site Meter