Profile Picture

coolant filling

Posted By retromod56 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)Normally aspirated (26 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
After many delays, I pulled my 292 based engine to paint frame and do a front end rebuild.  Getting engine back in frame and running, and time to refill the coolant.  Block has antifreeze from running before. Theres no heater hoses yet.  I was wondering if there is way to fill the radiator, and system , so as to avoid an airlock, other than elevating the motor higher than the rear.  Thermostat is in place.  Radiator is a an Aluminum Champion 3 row with sacrificial anode.  Plan on filling slowly to avoid bubbles.  Any other precautions I should take?  All thoughts appreciated.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I found the most effective way to fill and purge most of the trapped air from the system is leave the one heater hose disconnected from the fitting at the thermostat, slowly spill coolaant into the radiator until it just starts to flow out that fitting. Connect the  heater hose and then adjust the coolant level as necessary after the first couple heat cycles. 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I've emptied and filled the cooling systems on all my cars a number of times and never had an air block.  For the cars with heaters, I turn on the heater.  After filling, I run the engine with out the cap  till the thermostat opens.  Then add if necessary..

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Paul, that's pretty much how I do it. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter