Profile Picture

Caltracs

Posted By MoonShadow Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Has anyone had a set of Caltracs made up for a 55/56 Ford Fairlane or know a interchange that fits? I want to order a set but don't have the dimensions and my car is still in storage. Thanks. 

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Has anyone out there taken the dimensions of a 55/56 Ford car for Caltracs? I could use them if you do.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I’ve looked at their page many times for a kit. I don’t need them but like the look from the 50-60’s if they will fit. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I think some of the T-Bird racers have them but I'm not sure. I have the old style Traction Masters but still have a terrible wheel hop.

Y's guys rule!

FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
MoonShadow, I thought traction bars were to eliminate wheel hop? CalTracs have been on my radar for a couple years now.  Maybe it's a good thing I haven't pulled the trigger yet?

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I don't have the Caltracs yet just a set of the old style traction bars. They are supposed to eliminate wheel hop but haven't worked for me. Perhaps its another problem that I haven't found yet. This spring I plan to disassemble my leaf springs and look for a broken leaf. I may install an additional leaf or possibly a set of adjustable coil over shocks. I can't launch the car at the lights without spin. It's costing me 60' times and holding the car back. Also can lead to damage if not cured. I'm also running spring clamps on both sides. Hop seems to be on the right rear. This is all with street tires too.

Y's guys rule!

charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
FORD DEARBORN (3/16/2023)
MoonShadow, I thought traction bars were to eliminate wheel hop? CalTracs have been on my radar for a couple years now.  Maybe it's a good thing I haven't pulled the trigger yet?

You will be satisfied with the CalTracs.  They work and don't affect ride quality for normal street driving.

Lawrenceville, GA
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Dimensions are the problem Charlie. I guess I'll have to wait for spring and do them then. 

Y's guys rule!

FORD DEARBORN
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Good information here. M.S., you may indeed have other issues. I have a truck of the same generation as Charlie and I know he is very satisfied with his CalTracs. Some time ago he posted pics of his setup. The CalaTracs looked high quality. On their web site is a form to list all your pertinent dimensions and other information for a custom pair.  Probably not too much effort for CalTracs to make a pair. Other than length, the U-bolt spacing and bushing end may be the same for other Ford products. You're right about breaking something with wheel hop issues. I broke a differential spider gear.  After repairing that and changine my diff. carrier to a 4 pinion carrier, I am still afraid to launch with any aggression. My truck has leaf springs stacked (11) like pancakes at breakfast time and still bad wheel hop. Go figure.........

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
MoonShadow
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I was privileged to find a Detroit Gear post for my stock 1956 rear end. It has 3:72 gears, also hard to find. I would hate to break it but when the day comes I have a Cougar 9" ready to replace it. Another reason to be bothered by the wheel hop.

Y's guys rule!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter