Profile Picture

Oil pump

Posted By Richard Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Seems my oil pump is leaking at the face plate held on by four bolts. Can this face plate be removed and a new gasket installed, will the gears stay in place. At this time there is is no or very oil in it.
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I’ve done mine more than once and the idler gear will fall out for sure. The intermediate shaft on mine currently does not have a washer so it comes too. No big deal. I clean the surfaces, put a little Permatex #2 on the gasket to hold in on the pump, put one bolt loosely in the plate, grease both gears and slide it all up inside and spin the cover plate in place and tighten it down. It worked the same for the gerotor style too. PS lines make it a pita. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
There are two styles of oil pumps for the Ford Y.  1954-1956 used a spur gear pump while the 1957-1964 Ys used a gerotor pump.  Replacement pumps are typically the spur gear style of pump.  The spur gear pump is identified as having a cast iron cover with a cast in bump and a pair of reinforcing ribs on the cover while the gerotor pump simply has a flat steel cover.  The spur gear pump uses a thin paper gasket while the gerotor pump uses an O ring.  Both styles of pumps are serviceable.  Here’s a link that gives both information and pictures regarding both styles of pumps.

Ford Y-Block Oil Pumps – Eaton Balancing

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Richard
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
My pump is cast iron gerator. Anyone know where I can get the gasket/o ring. 
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Melling K-56 kit may be your only option. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I would ask Ted if the Melling K-56 kit is compatible with your cast iron gerotor pump; it might not be the same as the original Ford aluminum pump. 
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Richard (3/15/2023)
My pump is cast iron gerator. Anyone know where I can get the gasket/o ring. 

The Melling K-56 rebuild kit has been compatible with the cast iron housing gerotor oil pumps so far.  There is a military gerotor pump that uses a round ball for the oil pressure bypsss rather than the piston design but the gears in that pump are also the same as the gears in the Ford aluminum version.

I have the Best Gasket ‘O’ rings for the gerotor pump.  While those are round instead of being square like the originals, I’ve had no issue with those not sealing the cover to the pump.  I do use white grease on that particular 'O' ring to help keep it in place while reinstalling the cover.  If you need one of those ‘O’ rings, just email me your mailing address.  My contact information can be found under ‘Contact Us’ at  www.eatonbalancing.com  .

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter