Profile Picture

Removing dist gear from shaft

Posted By B-rad Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 days ago
I'm trying to get the gear off my 292 dist shaft and it's really tight. I tried pulley puller and the hookie things won't grab the gear. I don't want to put the gear in a vice and hammer the shaft outta the gear. I don't need the gear just the distributor. What's the safest way to remove the gear!

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
I use a hydraulic press to remove the distributor gears.  With the gear supported under the distributor side of the gear and the distributor itself sitting upside down in the press, I’ll avoid putting pressure on the end of the shaft itself when pressing the shaft down to remove the gear.  Instead, I will use either a short piece of distributor shaft or a small drift punch in the center hole and use that to put pressure on the shaft.  This will eliminate the possibility of mushrooming the end of the shaft which would then need to be redressed so it can fit back in the block.

This is just the way I do it so if anyone else has a different method, then let’s hear it.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I've used an arbor press.

Lawrenceville, GA
Lord Gaga
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Heat the gear, support it in a vice and tap the shaft with a soft faced hammer.

"FREE SAMPLE"
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Go to a machine shop or even a parts store that has a press and do it right.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter