Profile Picture

Brake Drum Variances

Posted By geo56 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I have been rebuilding the front suspension on my 56 Victoria and included in the rebuild a set of front brake drums from a low mileage 56 Fairlane that I junked years ago. I ordered two identical Timken grease seals from Rock Auto. I drove the first seal on with the expected amount of force. However, on the other drum, I was able to push the seal into the hub without any tools, with just enough interfearence that I could not shake the seal back out, but could pull it back out with my fingers, I thought about staking the outer edge of the hub at several points to make the seal stay in tighter, but ended up smearing a small amount of JB Weld on the outer edge of the seal to glue it in place. By the way, this same thing happened to me on another rebuild years ago on another pair of front brake drums. Back then, I used a pair of identical made in China seals. Has anyone else had this problem?
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Be interesting to know if both seals indeed had the same outside diameter.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

geo56
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Too late to check it now. They were identical part numbers on identical boxes.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter