Profile Picture

Oil pump gasket fitting

Posted By B-rad Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
On the oil pump I'm installing,the gasket is partially covering up one of the holes. Do I leave it like that or should I cut it away to show the whole hole? I don't know if this is a common question and I can put a picture of it on here if necessary

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ted Eaton(eatonbalancing.com) has an article on his website that explains just about everything you'd want to know about Y-block oil pumps and gaskets. The gearotor pump and gear pumps do not use the same gasket. It sounds like you have the wrong gasket for your pump. There are photos of both in Ted's article. He also said that some gasket sets include both gaskets. 
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
It's not a mounting hole that's partly covered it's one of the passages. The first is with gasket moved over to show the hole, second shows the partial blocking.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
It’s always best to trim the gasket if needed so that the oil passage hole is unobstructed.  As mentioned previously, the gerotor and spur gear oil pumps require different gaskets.  Here’s a picture showing both styles of gaskets.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0acd5f42-53bb-43ba-9238-870a.jpg  

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter