Profile Picture

Oil pump fyb 57 up

Posted By B-rad Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Looking for an oil pump that will work with a distributor from a 57 and up fyb for my Lincoln 317 engine. I decided to go ahead and change out these parts for the upgraded and easier to figure out parts. I know I will have to change out the gear on the distributor but I don't know how the oil pump and distributor work together. How they fit together.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
miker
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
55 up Fords used a hex shaft between the distributor and the oil pump. Earlier (54’s) used a tang drive. Your original was a tang iirc, now you’re changing over to the hex shaft. I think Ted mentioned that in an earlier post and the Lincoln’s hex shaft is different from the Ford shaft. Longer iirc.

There’s also a “c” clip on the Fords so it can’t come out when you pull the distributor. Probably something similar on the Lincoln, watch for that also.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)Supercharged (641 reputation)

So just to clarify, any 55 and up fyb oil pump, with the hex shaft, will work on my lyb? Just change the gear on the distributor shaft is all I'll need to do? And just replace the oil pump? I know Ted told me about it before but it's not easy finding it. Do you know where I can find one?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
B-rad
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I did buy an oil pump.Ford Y-Block 1955 to 1964 V-8 272 292 312 332 V8 Engines Oil Pump Mellin... Hope it's the right one for my application. How do the distributor and oil pump interact?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter