Profile Picture

High ratio rockers, pitting

Posted By napaunderground Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
So I got the high ratio rockers for my build. One set is assembled wrong so I have to re-do it... glad I've learned enough to know what to check!

I noticed some pitting on one of the pintles...ball ends...whatever the right term is. These are the kind with a lock nut.

The stock rockers have the other style. The stock rocker ends are all nicely polished.

Should I try to get the ones in the high ratio rockers re-machined, are they junk? Or is some pitting ok?
paul2748
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Mummert has new adjusters  if that is what you mean by "pintels" or "ball ends".

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Brent
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)

Pitting has to be bad.
I recently had troubles with valve lash going out of adjustment on all new rocker arm assemblies with ECG rockers. Upon investigating I found the adjusters to be loose in the rocker arm, I was able to wiggle them side to side. I found “oversized” adjusters that fit snug and with much better jam nuts. Came to understand that my pushrod cups were not machined correctly causing them to grind the adjuster ball. The new adjusters with the new pushrods are performing really well. Make sure the ball fits the cup.

Harland Sharp:
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5f1004cd-8d7e-4f51-92dc-7925.png

.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci
napaunderground
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)Supercharged (165 reputation)

Upon further review, I also found that one of my pushrods has a dent, and scuffing wear on it... and one of the bolts in my intake bolt ziplock is definitely the cause, it's too long and whoever built this engine previously put it in and didn't check/notice that it was hitting the pushrod.

I think I'll order new pushrods and adjusters just to be safe. Too much money involved at this point to ignore something that could become a problem.
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
"[I]ntake bolt ziplock"?
napaunderground
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Heh. I put the bolts in ziplock bags by type when I disassembled because I didn't know how long it'd be until I got it back together. So I know I didn't cross pollinate the bolts. Someone else did. Smile 
napaunderground
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ok, got my rocker stuff squared away. New adjusters from Mummert $125, rocker bolts because why not, rocker assembly kit since I have to redo them as at least one is incorrect, pushrods.

So glad we have this forum, and these suppliers that are so helpful and have good quality parts for our builds.
napaunderground
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Going deeper. I started the rebuild of the rocker shafts and found that I was sold a bill of goods.

Someone polished out the shafts real nice to hide how grooved they were. I should know better... I have now ordered a new set from Mummert. I do have some good shafts I could rebuild with, but didn't want to risk on this build. Maybe I'll use them on my 272 that's in the side yard...

Note: Mummert says the parts prices online are a bit off as the recent shipments they've gotten the wholesale price is up.
napaunderground
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Installed, lash adjusted. Cam card says .012" lash, that's the "hot" value right? Factory says .019.
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
.012 should be cold. Add at least .004 for hot. .019-.022 hot seems to be the norm.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter