Profile Picture

Y-Blk; related misc.questions:

Posted By PF Arcand Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
First, I'm basically an "analogue" guy with very little usuable Computer knowledge..so, if I switch to a new Lap Top from  my "very obsolete" & almost unusable Desk unit, do I need to re register here?. . And currently while struggling to get a handle on using the Lap top, I received an e-mail from someone claiming to be a "Randy Conner."  I did not open it!.  Some people on here, that subscribe to Y- Blk magazine, will recognise that "late" gentlemen''s name.. Has anyone else here received mail recently from someone of that name?. Is this some type of "scam" ?. Thanks for any directions here..

Paul
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Paul, I sometimes get an email from Mike Bogden.  I don't know him, but Mickey Bogden was a Y Block guy, he was a winner of the Y Block shootout.  I don't open Mike Bogen's emails.  I haven't received any Randy Connor emails.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Robs36Ford
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)Supercharged (186 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
As far as your Desk unit vs Lap Top, if the Lap Top has never been to this site then you will need to "log in" with your username/Password.
Look at the top right of the page you will either see your profile name "PF Arcand" or "Register or Log in".

1936 Ford 3W Coupe : 56 T-Bird 312, 47 Packard 3 speed, 40 juice brakes.
1968 Merc Cyclone FB GT 390, Getting a better front clip!
1977 Ford F-250 Supercab RWD Explorer Long box.
1976 Chev Camaro RS LT
Future rebuild : 1949 Ford F-1

charliemccraney
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 33 minutes ago
Everything else equal, using a laptop vs a desktop should be very similar.  The biggest difference between a very obsolete desktop and a new laptop will be the operating system, which can be quite different, depending on which you were using.  You can get a mouse to use with the laptop, if the track pad is awkward to use.

Email security practices will always be the same, no matter what device or operating system is in use.  If an email looks suspicious, don't open it.  Delete it, get rid of it so it is gone.

If you are still within the return window for the laptop, some advice on buying one.  Assuming that you want it to last a while and the primary function will be web browsing, buy the best you can afford but minimum specs should be an Intel Core I3 or AMD Ryzen 3 for the processor, and M.2 SSD and 16GB of ram (or 8gb but ONLY if the ram can be upgraded in the future.  This kind of upgrade is not possible on all laptops).
For only web browsing, try to avoid laptops with GPUs (Graphics Processing Units).  In that case, a GPU is only another component to fail and need maintenance.  The only place they are really useful is for gaming or productivity like video editing, CAD, graphics design, etc.  Otherwise, it is a largely unnecessary expense.
With lesser specs, you will probably need to replace the laptop in only a couple years, as software continues to become more sophisticated, resulting in the computer becoming more sluggish.  This can make a cheaper computer more expensive over a longer time-span.  If you spend a little more now, you can get a laptop that might last 5-10 years if you use good antivirus software along with common sense with e-mail and web browsing, to avoid having malicious software installed that can dramatically reduce the usefulness and lifespan of a computer.
With most laptops, despite their nomenclature, your lap or any similarly uneven surface is not the best place for it.  Try to always place it on a hard flat surface so that it can cool well.  If you consistently place it on your lap or carpet or a couch, etc, you will significantly decrease the life of the computer because it will run hot and cause failures to occur much sooner.

Being able to upgrade the RAM is probably the most important.  With that feature, you can keep a computer functional for web browsing for a pretty long time.  In fact, your obsolete desktop may still have some life in it if it does not already have the maximum amount of ram installed.  An SSD would also help but that will require re-installation of an operating system, so you would need to find someone locally to help with that.  Of course, if it is old enough, upgrades will largely be a waste of time.

Lawrenceville, GA
55blacktie
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
PF, you're not alone. I got an MP3 player for Christmas (they're becoming obsolete, being replaced by Smart phones). I couldn't figure out how to transfer music from my Chromebook to the MP3. My daughter, however, was able to do it easily. Fortunately, I figured out how to play it through the aux jack in my 2017 Ram 1500. Once my 55 Tbird's radio receives the Aurora 3.0 basic conversion, I will be able to play the MP3 through the Tbird's radio as well. I have 1000+ songs, starting with the 50s, and there is room for about 500 more, without adding a micro card for extra storage. FM radio has become too commercialized, satellite radio, which isn't free, isn't much better. It's great to be able to select only music that you want to hear, without commercials.
PF Arcand
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Thanks for the replys..unfortunately the Lap Top, an ASUS, was bought about 2 months ago or more & I doubt it can be returned. My current unit is almost totally unusuable due to being out of date years ago!.. I have to refer to "bookmarks" just to get on this site!.  I will have to figure out how to re - register on the Lap Top, (yes,with a Mouse) as I don't seem to have my password..   

Paul
Ted
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Paul.  If you have difficulty in logging back into the site using a different computer due to not knowing your password, then just email me and I’ll assign you a new temporary password that will get you back into the site.  Once back into the site, you can change the password to one of your own choosing.

My contact information can be located at   www.eatonbalancing.com

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

PF Arcand
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks to everybody that replied. . Unfortunately, my computer related skills are near nil! especially on this new one and  my age is against me.. At least that's my excuse... I've also thought to change my profile page name to a "nom de plume", as it was suggested using my real last name  isn't a good idea... Not sure even how to do that?.  Thanks - Paul

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter