Profile Picture

Odd Rocker Arm Assembly Discovery - any ideas?

Posted By Daniel Jessup 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 25 minutes ago
The pictures will explain the situation best, but while disassembling a swap meet set of rocker arm assemblies today I noticed these little doodads. There was one between the rocker arm and the pedestal. This was along the entire shaft that way. They could not have been used for spacing, and I doubt they are anything machined. The tips look to be like something from a staple gun, not sure. All of the springs were in great shape, and while it looks pretty nasty the assembly was in pretty decent order for cleaning and reassembly on a new shaft. No signs of wear along the surface of each pedestal where each rocker pivots either.

Any ideas as to why someone would go through the trouble? 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/373aa7ab-108c-4002-8d82-519.jpeghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/30f3ea22-fad8-4369-8378-b03.jpeghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c2395190-3038-4a2e-aaaa-872.jpeg

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Cliff
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Looks like someone was trying to center the rocker over the valve.  
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
I’ll agree with Cliff as it would appear that someone was simply trying to center the rocker pad on the valve stem.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
There are thin washers available in places like Mc Master Carr by ID. I have also gone to drag racing aftermarket shaft rocker arm manufacturers to buy spacer washers for my GMC’s. I’ve never been lucky enough to have them correct to start with.
Our Fords have a fairly large pad on the rocker tip so most never concern themselves with it. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter